W6WBJ locks horns with the FCC

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by K8MHZ, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The author of this notorious letter has been ordered to appear before an ALJ:

Here is the Hearing Designation Order:

And here is a link to his first set of interrogatories:

This should be an exciting case folks! I will keep you posted as it unfolds. Bill would do it himself but he has been banned from this site.

I think he has also been banned from Hamsexy but I am not sure about that.

He still has privileges on eHam. That is where I found the news about his Designation Order.

Popcorn anyone?
  2. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lightly salted and buttered please.
  3. K8MHZ

How about we take some bets?

Who thinks Bill will prevail?

Who thinks the FCC will?

Or should I start another thread with a poll?

My bet is that Bill will prevail. He has done his homework and is *very* crafty.

Oh, and I like my popcorn with lots of butter, salted, and washed down with beer.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll take it plain, but hot and freshly popped.
  5. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

Small popcorn please, because this will not take long. W6WBJ's letter and interrogatories are just awful. He is trying to put Riley on trial. That is not going to happen. This part is enough to get his license revoked:

6. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

BINGO! Give the man a kewpie doll.
  7. KC9JIQ

KC9JIQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

BILL, IF YOU READ THIS, TAKE SOME TIPS FROM THE JACK GERRITSEN CASE, you know as well as I do that the FCC cannot prevent freedom of speech.
  8. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to say negatory, OM.

Why, just look at K1MAN - license still valid, outstanding NAL and the FCC is doing diddly.

In fact if they keep this up he'll never have to renew his license, and he'd have saved the vanity fee.

Hey, if I wa cheap, maybe I should broadcast "bulletins" so maybe I could get my vanity fee taken care of...
  9. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, good point Ryan. Maybe I was too hasty in turning down the popcorn! The FCC seems to be a paper tiger with any transgressor that puts up a fight.
  10. KI6NNO

KI6NNO Ham Member QRZ Page

My bet:
    Bill's license won't be renewed, similar to other ex-Hams who lost theirs due to "qualification of character".

Why? Even ignoring the jamming allegations, there are free speech restrictions in the CFR that exclude F-bombs, etc. from the transmitted amateur radio vocabulary. Transmitting such language after 47 CFR 113(a)(4) prohibiting it became law means that Bill's alleged activity (from what I understand was transmitted) was patently illegal. I'd be surprised if enough evidence got suppressed to the point that the FCC couldn't make their case. But even if that occurred, it seems like the FCC has him nailed on ethical qualifications as a licensee.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  11. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously this person has elected to take one of the possible choices when faced with a dilemma: Throw sand in the eyes of the bull.

Since the gov't is remarkably humorless, I suggest that if he keeps this up his renewal will simply be lost in the mail permanently.

I really don't know this person so I'll refrain from expressing any opinions on the validity of the actual case, but I thought his response to be unecessarily long and combative in nature. I doubt it's going to help his case.
  12. K8MHZ

If his renewal is 'lost in the mail' as you predict, he still can operate legally. In fact, as long as this case is tied up in the courts, Bill can still operate legally.

The same for K1MAN who was on the air during Katrina despite being fined 21 grand and not paying it.

Don't forget, Bill is an attorney and it costs him nothing but time and printer ink to drag this out indefinitely, and as such, indefinitely is how long he can keep operating legally. He won't even have to pay his dollar a year to keep his vanity call.

I think it likely that Bill will do whatever he can to drag every piece of dirty laundry that W.R. Hollingsworth has ever had into the ring as well.

Like I said, this *will* be interesting. And I don't think that Bill will be off the air any time soon.

Either way, we win. If Bill prevails, it will be a victory for free speech. If the FCC prevails it will put 'the fear' into enough hams that it may clean up the bands.

I have to commend Bill for standing up to the FCC and thus be willing to be hung out to dry in our behalf.

Provided, of course, he loses....
  13. VE7DCW

VE7DCW Ham Member QRZ Page

The U.S. FCC has a neat system to deal with troublesome License holders...have them prove they are of good character before an administrative law judge to keep that license.All I can say to W6WBJ is good luck! ... the cards are not really stacked in your favor sir,if i read the argument put forth from the FCC in their notice to appear.Now,if there was only a way we could get Industry Canada to adopt a similar system to help eradicate troublesome Amateur radio operators on this side of the border I believe good ol' Karol VE7KFM would be a fore gone conclusion.But,one can dream..:rolleyes:

14. K8MHZ

Perhaps, but we have this (expletive deleted) piece of paper called the Constitution that just may throw a monkey wrench into their plans.
  15. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see this as a freedom of speech issue. No individual has an innate right to transmit RF. The airwaves are public property, licensed according to "public interest, convenience, or necessity (PICON)." (Or at least they were until 1996!) There are plenty of other means of free expression available to all individuals that do not involve RF. Or so I see it. That said, I suspect that the FCC will eventually win, but it may take a long time.

I am most certainly not an attorney, and cannot judge the legal validity of the submission. I am however VERY struck by the "literary" styles employed, which do not resemble what is usually seen in such documents. I say "styles" because there are very different grammatical and syntactical forms that appear at different times. I can only speculate as to what this might mean, and will not do so here!
  16. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

OH, He's a CHARACTER all right... He certainly qualifies in that respect.:rolleyes:
  17. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lotta trees killed with THAT Depostion! I tried to read it but ran out of steam. Don't think this one is winnable, after all, WHO has ever won against the FCC??? Like going up against the FBI, Notta chance!!! So, though it is great to cheer for hopeless causes, This one is going down in flames! Nice try, but still RIP!
  18. KI4RDG

KI4RDG Banned QRZ Page

What ever happend to Jack-ass Gerritsen anyway?
  19. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Am I right, this case started in 2000?
    It looks to me that the FCC has worked with this person for quite some time.
    And, there is a fine balance between freedom of speech and what one says.
    I have delt with the subject of rape over the air, and have been able to keep from dropping the F bomb.
    Just as one can not go into a crowded theatre and cry fire! just to see people scramble, one can not use words that are intended to cause trouble.
    If this were not the case, one could argue that a bank robbery note was protected speech, and could not be used in court.
    However, it really is hard to judge what went on.
    I have not seen exactly what this gent and the FCC are locking horns over.
    At this point, I would have to agree with the FCC, as why else would one beat around the bush, unless the facts are in fact not in favor of the man.
    Give me the facts, not a page of fluff, and than e will talk.
  20. KI4RDG

KI4RDG Banned QRZ Page

Why has he been banned from these sites?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.