W3EDP Wire Antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K4OSS, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. K4OSS

K4OSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone used the W3EDP wire antenna? Very simple and looks useful for stealth / ultra-portable use. From the research I've done, all things considered, these simple antennas seem to work fairly well.

Basically it consists of an 85 foot (some say 84 foot) antenna w/ a 17 foot "counterpoise" (apparently there is room for experimentation here, depending on what band you're using), and it will tune up from 80-10m.

When my 703 arrives this week, I'm going to try it out.

2. AB6ND

AB6ND Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I've use a W3EDP at several locations in three countries. Found it very tolerant of snaking it into whatever space is available. Mainly on 7 mhz and 14 mhz, once or twice on 3.5 mhz.
    It's always fascinated me and I have saved plenty of articles about it over the years. If you need more information I'll mail some to you.
    Roy

3. K4OSS

K4OSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Roy,

I'm glad to hear that it's tolerant of "snaking," as I will probably be forced to do a bit of that.

Once I start playing around, I'll keep you in mind if I have any questions.

(Or if you want you can just email me whatever you think might be useful: kf4oss at fireradio dot org)

Charlie

4. AB6ND

AB6ND Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Charlie,
    You're lucky just having to do a bit of snaking around, I've always had to do a lot.
    Roy

5. G0JLX

G0JLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: W3EDP Antenna

I used one of these with an FT-102 when I was renting a room in a ground-floor apartment in Epsom (SW of London) and the landlords didn't want any aerials to be visible. Made it up out of standard 2.5mm electrical cable with black insulation still on to further disguise the antenna, tacked onto wooden fencing and trees.

85' long, in approximately a horizontal L shape. 17' counterpoise connected for some bands on a croc-clip to the earthy side of the ATU. Got me out all over the UK and EU OK. I wasn't a strong signal, but 53-55 was typical.

Good luck ! :)

Best 73
    Andy
    GØJLX

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a very old antenna design but is quite useful and will perform better, and tune easier (not as touchy) with two or more counterpoise wires.

It can also be implemented using an L network instead of a paralell tuned circuit. The L network has less insertion loss and is easier to build. The difference is that you will need an 8 foot counterpoise wire on ten meters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.