ad: Schulman-1

W2RE Installs 4-Square System in 2 Days

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Sep 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    You can't claim something you do not have. You do NOT have 300 DXCC on 160M.

In this case, the publicly available DXCC standings do not show 300 countries for KM1H on 160M. They show 147 countries for KM1H on 160M. That is fine accomplishment. Here's the DXCC 160M page, with BOTH W1YW and KM1H.

If you didn't believe in the validity of DXCC, you would have removed yourself from the listing.

In the absence of such objective vetting of validity thru DXCC, why should ANYONE believe your 300 claim?

dxcc160.JPG

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Stay on topic folks.

.............Bob

KM1H likes this.
  3. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Go Ray......super job.....amateur radio hero !!!!!!

W2RE likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the new 4 square at EASTPORT yesterday. Really impressive. I expect it will help lots of DXers substantially on their DXCC totals, not to mention contesting..

I really like the ease of take-down/erection of this antenna system. If I resurrect the Kentucky station, this will be the system I will use.

Chip W1YW

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone know what 80M antenna is being used at N2QV?

6. W2RE

W2RE Ham Member QRZ Page

We built (HVT) the 80m 4/SQ @ N2QV in 2012, it’s the same HD free standing DXE verticals that survived hurricane sandy. The performance speaks for itself.

Ray W2RE

KA0HCP and N2EY like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Ray.

Another great system. Folks should look at N2QV's Zed page. Great eye candy!

8. K8RSC

K8RSC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job, but the two days is deceptive. That's just to get the antennas up. The hard part (radials etc) is yet to come.

9. KC2PMM

KC2PMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello,
    I got my DXCC, Mixed, after about 11 years of casual operating. All on Logbook of the World. Never used a 4 square, just a fan dipole, a 10 meter vert., and then lastly a K4KIO hexbeam.
    Yes, it can take time, but that award is still a nice piece of paper that tells anyone walking into my radio room that I've spent "X" number of hours doing this, it's a real thing.
    Congrats to ALL who have earned this award.
    My goal is to have fun in this hobby. The day it's not fun is the day I stop doing it.
    Now, on to WAS...........
    Guy
    KC2PMM

KA0HCP, W0PV and N2EY like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to all who expressed their opinions on DXCC. Still formulating my own.

The 4 square deployment is interesting. IMHO it is a new application of an old idea (crank-down verticals instead of crank up tower).

Great stuff!

73 es tnx de Jim, N2EY

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I think that's awesome! I strive to do the same things, usually with old Novice-era rigs, and really just W.A.S. in my case, racking up as many DX contacts as I can for a grand total when I hit the 50-states-confirmed (always by paper).

I like you're trying for DXCC on AM! Once upon a time, that would be one thing - it's very much quite another to do today! Even W.A.S. on AM would be a solid challenge.

Dave
    W7UUU

KM1H likes this.
  12. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

DXCC on AM would be a wonderful achievement (and very difficult).
    WAS on AM is possible, I know of at least one ham in N. Texas who has done so.
    I have WAS on 75M. SSB, but not even close on AM.
    KM1H, you've just inspired me to fire up the Apache, or Viking II (the HB rig
    is rockbound on 75M.), and start chasing DX with them.
    C'mon sunspots, I'm 'gonna need 15 and 10M to do it.
    Probably need to make a few skeds, calling CQ may be exasperating.
    Jon

KM1H likes this.
  13. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats for sure Dave. By the time the 60's rolled around I was on SSB for good...I thought....
    OTOH in those short years between my General in 56 and going into the USN in 59 I worked a lot of AM DX (mostly on a wide open 10 and 15M during Cycle 19 with a barefoot Viking I) as well as CW and didnt bother keeping track of mode as there was only one DXCC back then. I think I had the 100+ worked but not all the cards yet and didnt apply for DXCC until the 60's and then had to start all over again from MA and NH....hell those were the rules and I didnt go whining about it even when in an apartment.

Carl

W7UUU and AD5HR like this.
  14. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Get one of those contest voice recorders and just push buttons or have software do it for you. I still use a Nel Tech DVK-100 which I inspired the design of in the mid 80's on a napkin during several beers with my boss Gary Stapleford, N1BPO (SK in 2015)

Carl

AD5HR likes this.
  15. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Isnt 1 5/8" Heliax a bit of overkill for 1500W on 80M?