ad: M2Ant-1

W2RE Installs 4-Square System in 2 Days

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Sep 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. AB8CL

AB8CL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video. Please do another showing the coax hook up and what you're using for directional switching.

2. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At 1:10 he says they dug holes and poured the concrete yesterday.

3. W2RE

W2RE Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing misleading in the video. It was complete in less than two days using quick drying cement.

Here is the location of the 80m 4/Sq in the field which is within 500’ of salt-water in Eastport, Maine upload_2018-9-9_15-52-32.jpeg

Ray Higgins
    http://www.w2re.com/

WA7PRC, US7IGN and KB2SMS like this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

AKA pay as you go super station and a easy DXCC or other awards for those that dont care to work for it.

KA2FIR, K0PV/SK2023 and WQ4G like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not how I use Eastport Carl. I can't speak for others.

Ray did not pose this as advertisement but as a cool example of what it takes to implement part of a superstation.

In that sense he is being quite brave, because of the the flack guys get from pure jealousy.

Ironically, none of you guys knows who has the best superstation in this neck of the world. Its not RHR; its not W8JI; its not K3LR; its not KE5EE.

Its a Canadian and he's much too modest to tell you--so I won't. You'll just say something stupid and offensive rather than congratulating him for taking the technology to its limit based on his years of successful sweat and toil.

AJ4XM and KA0HCP like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry Nathan but you are way off base. Im not jealous since I had my own station that was world class at the time and when multiple contests a year became a chore to my family I gave it up.

I was approached by others to turn it into a remote which turned my stomach and dismantled most of the 19 HF yagis on 4 towers on top of the highest hill in abut 20 miles with a negative horizon for 360 degrees.

I have also quit anything to do with DXCC and told the ARRL why....they have destroyed DXCC as a true achievement AWARD that required time, skills, patience and was not a gimmee to anyone that didnt even want to work at it.

I have no idea what that rant and multiple insult has to do with anything in this thread. Im off to bed anyway out by 5:30 tomorrow.

Carl

KA2FIR and K0PV/SK2023 like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea. Next time read-- rather than 'read in-to'.

I am my colleagues will continue to: "destroy the DXCC as a true achievement AWARD that requires skill, patience, and was not a gimme to anyone who didn't want to work at it. "

I mean , really, we are ALL such BAD people.

Don't forget your bedtime milk, Carl.

8. K3SSB

K3SSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A phased array has always been a long-held dream. Maybe someday if I win the lottery?.

AD5HR and WQ4G like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its all about the conductivity of the ground. Keep that in mind:)

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Important to understand the 'value' being shown here: these verticals have NO GUYS and are easily winched into place. That means you CAN if needed, lower them down temporarily for a bad storm, or for tuning, etc.

Given the robust mechanical and 'take down' nature, these are a cheap solution for 80M performance IMO.

W0PV and KA0HCP like this.
  11. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Serious question:

How did ARRL destroy DXCC?

12. N2EY

Serious question:

What is this talk about "destroying DXCC"?

It still requires 100 confirmed entities, right?

13. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah... but what entities? after they began to take into account pirated callsigns (including of terrorist organizations) it became a dirty game ...

14. N2EY

What pirated callsigns?

What terrorist organizations?

15. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Make DXCC a real test! Spread out the distribution curve! Separate categories for SSB, CW, Digital, Mixed.

All entities x All Bands x All Modes ( SSB x CW x Digital-each protocol variant).

That should raise maximum possible contacts to upwards of 10,000.

Got North Korea on AMTOR, 2200m yet? ;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018