VPN use

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W4PG, Jan 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use VPNs probably 60-80% of the time. The only time I run into issues is occasionally there are websites / services that do not allow the use of *known* VPNs. (I use PIA VPN service) Mostly to prevent ISPs from tracking me selling that information to 3rd parties the way cell phone companies track and sell your location data. I don't do anything illegal or anything that would set the government off or even perk their ears.

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

The fact that I live about 5 miles from where I work means that I don't travel any further than that from my house on any regular basis. Ultimately, someone could easily just follow me home if they wanted to know where I live.

I will not give any details as I do not want to directly provide any information, but monitoring traffic on unsecured public WiFi really doesn't take much effort or knowledge. As to just being handed a dossier concerning the life of an individual, that just takes a little money.

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course. But it's still a lot more than a quick google search which can be done in maybe 15 seconds just out of idle curiosity if one wants.

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I use a VPN anytime I am on a public WiFi, which I *rarely* use anyhow 'cuz of that guy running Wireshark next to me! :)

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I avoid the public Wi-Fi security issue by going cellular on my iPad--much better privacy. Can't beat the price: $5/mo. for digital-only use, but I use Google Voice (and Skype) on it so my iPad can be a phone, too.

6. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

hardly little-known ... and this doesn't always work. in my area the provider of usable quantities of bandwidth is charter spectrum, and they are infamous for not negotiating under these circumstances. i'm going to unplug them in a few weeks (at least for tv) for this reason ... not surprising behavior for a provider in a monopoly position, but that's the way things are ...

7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Monopolies tend to be the American way. Other countries have much more competition in the broadband market. I think they have situations similar to the power companies where multiple providers have access to the (usually only one) local network. We pay a price for lobbyist driven government.

8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a government "...of the lobbylist, by the lobbyist, for lobbyist." Money rules, not democracy.

9. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

When you call to cancel, they'll try to sell you a "streaming package" for the same price as cable TV with the same channels and no ability to delete the channels you don't want.
    I asked the agent what the advantage to streaming was and she couldn't name one.
    It's been 3 months since I cut TV and they're still pestering me to get streaming. That's them on the phone now. :mad:

10. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

i'm good at resisting sales techniques. not at all worried about this. their streaming app on roku is crap (the audio and video consistently lose sync).