ad: vanity

VP6D Ducie Is. DXpedition

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE4KY, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Super strong here on 21.023 but haven't heard me yet :(

Dave
    W7UUU

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Rats - they just sent QRX but a static crash spoiled my copy of the time.

Hoping it's just a lunch break and he'll be back :)

Dave
    W7UUU

3. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

My contact also was not shown for 15m -- a solid contact a couple of days ago. Just worked them again on 15 a little while ago (and took a screenshot of the DXA page this time). Op was sending "NO DUPES" frequently, so maybe people aren't seeing their QSOs online for some reason...

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was 'listening' to them yesterday on FT8 on 10. One transmission they would be +10 and 30 seconds later they would be -15 or -20.
    Timing/luck!

5. W7UUU

They were back in 10 minutes and BOOMING in here - 599++ at this moment. SUPERB CW operator(s). One of the best-run CW DXpedition operations I've heard. They are very evenhandedly working the world - no area preference or bias - all comers get a shot (except for the clueless hams calling simplex - argh!!)

Took 30 minutes but I got em in the log on 15 just now for an ATNO.

Wow - and just like that, as I was typing this, they apparently went QRT on 15m!! My timing was good :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WZ7U likes this.
  6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

They were good copy on 12M FT8 just now, mostly calling CQ. they couldn't hear me, even though I was pounding around 800 W at them. (hard on my Drake L7!) They maybe answered 1 or 2 stations and then gave up to try another band. I think they were being desensed. Armchair copy here. Made it thru on CW and SSB, so FT-8 should have been easy. Will watch for them another day. Sure could use a 80M FT-8 QSO too!

7. W7UUU

Awesome! You'll surely fill every slot.

I'm just happy to have at least one - I've been on the road constantly but home for the weekend, and hope to get them on a few more bands. I don't have an FT8 option, as I do not use transceiver control under WSJT-X. I manually log contacts (cuz I'm old school and it just feels more like ham radio if I have to actually "do things" to complete all aspects of the QSO). So I can't enter "Hound mode" since RF split is not under control of the software.

But I'm quite happy with just CW on whatever bands I can get.

Sure are good operators!!

Dave
    W7UUU

8. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never used FT8. I am curious how it works on the DX side. Does the op just sit there and click on callsigns? Or is it fully automated?

Is it true that FT8 expedition mode is not to be used in the FT8 sub-bands? I guess that means they move into the CW portions (have noticed several there in the past on 40m).

Glancing at the action on the DXA page it seemed to me that CW was completing at least 5x as many calls as FT8 (taking into account the number of bands used by either). Isn't expedition mode supposed to do 500 an hour?

Drew

9. W7UUU

I pretty much have most of the same questions :) Of course, it's not relevant to my own setup, as I posted I can't run "Hound" mode due to not having hardware control from WSJT-X (by my own choice).

I think the FT8 operations are running quite a bit above the normal FT8 frequency. But I'm sure others will chime in with better answers.

For now, I'm happy to be in their log. Just got them on 30m CW as well (10.105, up 2)

Dave
    W7UUU

10. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also usually happy with just a single contact but I'm trying to work the five bands available on my indoor 'cobweb' antenna (100 watts, CW)-- then I will have a good answer when people ask how it performs. I still need 10m and 20m for "worked Dulcie on all cobweb bands", haha...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    W7UUU likes this.