VP6D Ducie Is. DXpedition

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE4KY, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

vp6d-15.png

Getting better all the time. 15M is ATNO on these non 15 antennas (got 15 on the 20m vertical - the 40m vertical wasn't having it today).

WA6MHZ likes this.
  2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I am really being a DX HOG!!! now up to 19 band modes! Guess I will never need another contact from Ducie on any band!
    Well, I haven't worked them on 10GHZ!!

NZ5F likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amazing how easy it is to work these guys even though the bands suck. They are up into the 40k Q range in just a few days and the pileups don't seem so hellacious and its actually easy to get in the log. Great operators!

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Geez Pat, leave some for the rest of us!

Congrats man!

WA6MHZ likes this.
  5. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm up to 12 band-mode slots now using 100w and wires. I do believe this is the most slots I've worked a major DXpeition on... this really is a top notch team of ops!

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just got home from a week on the road - back in the shack just now - so I have exactly ZERO "band-mode slots" but hoping to fill that in over the weekend with at least one CW contact! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sure would be nice if folks would learn how to work "split" - yeah, I know - old story. Just spent a bunch of time on 7010 (working "up 3)" to no avail. Largely due to QRM from idiots who don't understand "split"

To the W4 that called and called right smack on 7010... It's so tempting to "out you" but I won't. But you were blasting in at 20 over. Or to the General class I heard calling on 7010 simplex... for shame!! Really? ugh. I won't post his call either.

This ain't rocket science folks. Split is uber simple on virtually all modern rigs....

Will try 15 and 20 tomorrow and over the weekend. I'm happy with just ONE in the log.

Congrats to Pat @WA6MHZ - I hope there's some left for the rest of us :)

Dave
    W7UUU

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know how ya feel. A couple of nights ago I listened to someone tuning-up on the 14023 CW freq. for about 10 minutes (peaking & dipping for that last "watt") - What was REALLY amazing was, when he finished tuning-up,... he started calling VP6D right there on freq.!! (when VP6D was asking for "JA's UP" :rolleyes: - I looked the stn's callsign up, & he was a W zero Extra with over 53 years of operations (CW only!) :confused: - (he finally went away after about 15 minutes). - Alzheimer's Disease setting-in ???:confused:

I'm just happy :) that I worked them as VP6D/MM (on 20 meters) six hours before they arrived, with 15 watts & my Tentec Century-22. I can only "split" +/- 1.5 khz at the most using the RIT. I guess I should "rearrange" my shack & fire-up my old Icom-735 & battle it out,... but I'm too lazy & besides,... I'm just happy to be in their log while they were on the M/V Braveheart.

I will try with my Low Power before they depart maybe on 10 /15 or 20. HECK,... I may even try the HW-9 (WARC) :D es try to nab 'em with 4 or 5 watts (+/- 1) !... That would be cool...

Don't ya just LOVE those operators that tune-up for 5-10 minutes on a frequency, & then ask,... QRL? ;):rolleyes:

9. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

looks like my 15m CW QSO didnt make it into their log...luckily i'm not that into band fills once I get DXCC on a band...

10. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had been listening on 28.023 for over an hour hearing absolutely nothing. People in and around Michigan were hearing them loudly, according to the cluster.

Then, out of the blue, around 2140, they were a solid 599 in my headsets. Five minutes later, I was in their log.

Now, at 2155, they are back below the noise again.

Is this spotlight propagation?

upload_2018-10-26_18-0-20.png

Come on 30 meters.

WZ7U likes this.