VP6D Ducie Is. DXpedition

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE4KY, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4WCQ

KI4WCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried reworking for a few hours and never got picked up. I suspect I show as "green" and not "red" so they ignore my call. I've since worked a third band on FT8 and didn't get in log but have a third screenshot.

2. W9CYS

W9CYS Ham Member QRZ Page

Loud signal into W9-land now. Been calling on 14.280 (general) for three days 500w into CL-33. Too busy working up 5-10. I guess I'm not making it onto the P3 display :( Persist!

3. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think they are always listening on 14.280... only at specific times. They listened on 14.280 for generals for a while today.

4. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just looked again. They made a another upload and now I'm in. Maybe they don't upload all the logs from the different stations at the same time.

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked VP6D on 40 CW this morning......with the Type 7.....

N2SR and DK7OB like this.
  6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i got my CW QSO just now on 40m so I can relax now :)

Also picked up Yj0GC on 40/80 CW ... was a good morning!

N2EY likes this.
  7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Got thru on 80CW this morning! That was a tough one!!

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bit of a story there....

Tried to work them the past few mornings - best time around 1000Z. Could hear them OK, but they're working up about 2 kHz and the RIT range of the Southgate Type 7 is only about 1.5 kHz.

Pulled the Southgate Type 6 out of retirement last night to act as a second receiver, to work split. Hadn't been powered up in about 25 years, but it still works....receiver section, anyway. Sounds pretty good! (The Type 6 was built in the early 1980s and was my main rig from about 1984 to 1994, when it was replaced by the Type 7). To use it as a second receiver, I'd need to make up a cable or two and a relay interface to mute it while transmitting.

While tuning around on 40, heard XT2SZZ, working up. Switched the antenna back to the Type 7, and worked them - they were only working about 1 kHz up then.

This morning, went after VP6D again, only this time, tuned right to the edge of the Type 7 receiver passband. The filters are 500 Hz wide and very steep skirts, but it made the difference. Not too shabby for 100 homebrew watts and a trap inverted V with the center at 40 feet.

Two ATNOs in less than 8 hours - not a contest, both DXpeditions.

Maybe it's time to restore/renovate/modernize the Type 6......let's see....redo the audio section, install provision for second VFO, change some tube types to higher-performing ones, rebuild the power supply, do some VFO stuff....hmmm......maybe.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2SR, WA6MHZ and WF4W like this.
  9. WA6MHZ

The DXA is really slick!
    http://www.dxa3.org/vp6d/
    not quite real time, but in less than 5 min a nice message pops up congratulating you on your contact and confirming you are IN THE LOG! They are really squared away on their logging and networking
    43691877_10156478382934927_2979158224684449792_n.jpg
    it also shows which bands and modes you need to concentrate on. This, along with DX SUMMIT is providing real time coverage of their activity. Like right now I can see they are working mostly Europe on 40 and not much stateside. I am waiting for them to go back to 20CW so I can pounce on them there. I checked some of the locals and they have them worked on 30 and 10M, which I haven't seen them on at all yet. I was lucky to nail them on the one time they went to 20RTTY.
    Heard them well on160CW this morning, but I was calling them on 80 at the time and didn't want to have to go retune the amp and tuner. So I will look for them tommorrow on 160 about the same time.

Sue came over and fixed my 30/17/12 Fan Dipole yesterday, So I am ready for them on WARC!

WZ7U likes this.
  10. WA6MHZ

Thank You SUE AF6LJ, who fixed my Fan Dipole and got me in the log on 30M just now!

WZ7U likes this.