VP6D Ducie Is. DXpedition

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE4KY, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I had been up most of the night listening / chasing them on 160 & 80... with no luck.. but nodded off and slept right through the sunrise propagation. Ugh. Oh well, tomorrow. I did pick up 20 & 12 yesterday. I have 30/40 from the previous dxpedition. I really want 80.. decent sigs there.. just a matter of time. I was surprised I could hear them on 160 at all on my 102' dipole. If I have any chance on 160 it will be when they are begging for QSO's on that band.

NZ5F likes this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

As the days roll on VP6E will be easier to work. Got them on 40 SSB this morning with 500 watts into a vertical. I am only working them on bands/modes that I have not had confirmed from previous ops. I will try 160 at some point with a very minimal antenna

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yep. that is what I believe - I'll just wait for the activity to die down a little and catch them on CW. The CW activity was heavy - seemed to be more CW callers than SSB

4. KI4WCQ

KI4WCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I make it a practice to take a screen shot of an FT8 QSO when I get the RR73 from a DXE or any other DX I need to have proof of the contact. If auto logging is screwed up, without proof of the FT8 QSO it would be hard for the DX to agree that the busted call problem is theirs.

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to CROW!!!!!
    when we last tuned in, the MFJ-464 was BLOWN!! Since Sue AF6LJ came over today, I wanted to show her DXING, so we went in the Radio Shack and check DX SUMMIT. VP6D was on RTTY!!! So I got everything going (SIGNALINK for that mode) and called him. SURE enough, we were quickly logged on 20RTTY!!

But the big issue was the lack of CW QSOs!!! I need Ducie on CW for a new one so I am desperate to repair the MFJ

I noticed it still keyed the Speaker and LED (LOCK) on transmit. SO Morse was still working somewhere! Looking around with the scope, I could see logic level changes on the LED! (Even though the key output line Pin 11 was still dead.) So If I could access that signal, I can make workaround, which is just what I did.

Using my trusty CD4011, I built a circuit on a tiny perfboard to sense the LED logic changes and drive a 2N7000 which goes to the Key output.

MY KEYER WORKS AGAIN!!!

44575386_10156476927719927_8121779926920593408_n.jpg
    SURE IT'S RINKY DINK!!!
    IT'S MICKEY MOUSE AND DEPLORABLE!!
    BUT IT WORKS!!!

I rushed it downstairs and hooked it up. With in 5 minutes of install, I worked VP6D on 20CW and a few minutes later on17 CW!

SO I AM GOLDEN!!!! I still need QSOs on 80M and 12 and 10(if Possible) but I am IN THE LOG!!!

PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AF6GA, WD3N, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I log all my FT-8 contacts in my Paper Log, cuz I don't trust COMPUTERS!!

7. KI4WCQ

KI4WCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's fine, but the other station is likely using the WSJT logger or a UDP interface to his regular logger. What I'm saying if he has no record and you have a "paper" log entry that's not much evidence. Good thing I have the VP6D screenshots as neither of my FT8 QSOs are in DXA or OQRS well after the date/time. Contrary to an earlier post "of not seeing evidence of missing Qs", I have the proof that it's dropping FT8 QSOs.

8. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

My 40m QSO is not in the log. I have a screenshot but I think I try it again.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, egg on face is good with bacon....
    I thought I made my 17m contact on the 20m antenna; nope, the 40m antenna was on line then. Oops, I wondered why the tuner settings were so far off what they normally are. But I did discover this; it seems on 17m, I put out more energy to the ether on the 40m antenna than the 20m antenna. That or I have a weird common mode issue monkeying with my metering. Something to look into later on I guess...
    Got 'em on 40 now, just need 20 & 15 to round out the antenna farm.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too.