ad: CARC-1

VP6D Ducie Is. DXpedition

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE4KY, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

These guys are awesome.

Just worked them on 30m CW. OK, that is not impossible with my antenna (dipole up 12m).
    But then I saw them spotted on 80m CW by W3LPL, and indeed they were there - the first time I heard them on 80m at all (I have lots of noise on the lower bands). And they heard me, I couldn't believe it, but it appeared in DXA. I think I can count my QSOs with that area of the world on 80m with one hand.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Another spot for VP6D on 160M FT8, however they never showed up on DXA! I was tempted to run downstairs and work them again. But since it was NOT listed on DXA, It may have been the same Pirate I worked twice last week. Don't know if anyone has it in the log confirmed. Maybe everyone else worked the same Pirate!

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I made 14 contacts on nine bands and four modes. All of them appear in the online log. Two of them are missing from DXA, 80 CW and 80 FT8. I assume this had something to do with them setting up the CW site 20 minutes away from the main site and linking them together with WiFi, plus the lousy weather they had. Great operation!

4. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two missing logs on the DXA page but all of them are showing up in the log checker page - they did indicate there were some issues with the DXA indicators.

5. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Coming in here in NM about 57 around 2345z this afternoon on 10M SSB. DXA is showing me good on seven bands. :)

6. WA6MHZ

RATS!!! Missed the RAZOR THIN 10M openning to Ducie by just a Hair!!
    at 0000Z the Nun came home from work and I took her down to Rubios for our E4 ATNO Celebration dinner (had to wait till after 2PM as the tacos go on sale then) SO lunch was canceled. Spent 10AM till 3PM calling the VP6 on 15 RTTY and finally made it after 3! VP6D was spotted on 10 but no West Coast Prop.

We went to Rubios and had GLORIOUS FISH TACOS!!! While I was gone (for just an hour) they built up to workable on the WC, and quickly threw the big switch! When I got home, they were ALL GONE!!!
    Can only hope they will be on tomorrow night again at the same time. 10 would be nice for a SSB QSO!

Atleast we were able to celebrate with our $7 dinner (for the 2 of us)
    45011789_10156492779484927_7728572063199264768_n.jpg
    She had 1 TACKO, I had 3! For drinks we had water to which we added lemon juice from the lemon slices they provide on the condiment bar. HEY We are on SOCIAL SECURITY so this is LUXURY DINING!!

N4FZ and K9ASE like this.
  7. WA6MHZ

Just announced they are going QRT early due to degrading landing condx.

"2018-10-31 16:04:08Z: Due to an expected worsening in landing conditions, we are going to close the VP6D radio operation shortly. Thanks to everyone who tried to contact us, we look forward to seeing you in another pileup in the future. 73 from VP6D"

thanks for a most MEMORABLE and Excellently Orchestrated DXpedition!
    121136 Qs!!!

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Best DXpedition ever IMO!

Dave
    W7UUU

KD2NOM and WA6MHZ like this.
  9. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely agree with UUU.... best run expedition I've ever seen. Great operators, excellent real time logging avoiding dupes, great band slot coverage if perhaps a little light on phone, but with wall to wall FT8, and some rtty and fsk opportunities. I only got 'em on 15 band slots, as I only operate cw, and ssb. Never could get 'em on 80 or 160 phone, but I guess only 267 guys did.

I went to the website, and sent 'em a contribution as well, work like that needs to be encouraged! These guys totally raised the bar to a new level, though the Baker/Howland crew did stellar work as well. Thanks to both of these top-drawer DX crews for all the hard work and effort so that guys like me can fill our logs with tasty DX slots from the comfort of our easy chairs.

Amazing work, Congrats to all,

Gordo
    K5ABB

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So get this - I went to pay my $50 Paypal donation to them, and I stupidly made a typo error on my zip code, and didn't catch it until I had already submitted.

Figuring the QSO would probably still make it, I emailed the Paypal email for the donation and told them of my error, not really thinking I'd ever hear back or certainly not soon.

Within FIVE MINUTES I had a reply back from legendary DXpedition Team Member Pista, HA5AO (who is handling their Paypal donations system) telling me he had made the change.

Even as the team on Ducie is tearing stuff down, and zillions of QSLs are in process, and hundreds making donations, they manage to get back to me in minutes - they already had the money, and the mistake was minor, but they still took care of it.

These guys are just first class all the way.

Dave
    W7UUU