vo52

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by EI5EV, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EI5EV

EI5EV Ham Member QRZ Page

have we lost vo52 nothing heard on last few passes?

2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesterday mid-day through last night, I did not hear it.

Clayton

3. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like VO-52 went silent again. No news from India yet, and nothing from the Indian hams since mid-March when they were asking for reports about how the Dutch transponder - the one that had been in operation for the past couple of months - was working. The http://oscar.dcarr.org/ web site shows the last time anyone heard it was around 1245-1300 UTC Thursday.

73!

4. WD9EWK

According to Ib OZ1MY posting on the AMSAT-BB list this morning, VO52 was back on. Ib reported the Dutch transponder was on, and he had to tune up about 6 kHz on his uplink to get through. Hopefully it is going to stay on a while.

73!

5. W5PFG

VO-52 seems to be performing normally. Heard a pass or two this morning, one station working down to about 1 degree.

6. WD9EWK

Other than having to move the uplink up about 6 kHz compared to what it was before Thursday, it is working normally. I was just on it this evening, and unfortunately one station overpowered the transponder for most of the pass. :(

73!

7. W5PFG

I suspect it's the same station I hear sometimes on AO-7 calling CQ (on CW) with VERY, VERY high power. I've heard him sounding bad on VO-52, too.

8. WD9EWK

It could be. Not sure if who I heard does much CW. I heard the same station on FO-29 yesterday afternoon calling for UT1FG/MM. Audio was very bad, and it also sounded like too much transmit power. I know my 5W station is not much, but it is normally more than enough for the current crop of SSB birds.

To my east at home, I can usually work anything at 4-5 degrees elevation on up. It was almost to the midpoint of last night's VO-52 pass before I could hear myself through the transponder. The Dutch transponder on VO-52 behaves just like AO-7 in the presence to too much power - one signal is clearly retransmitted, and any others are either very weak or not heard at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.