ad: M2Ant-1

VLF stations?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N3DT, Dec 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in LV once and had a Sangean portable shortwave in the hotel room. I couldn't hear a thing anywhere on any band. That city must be full of QRM. But then most hotels are like that, not just LV.

2. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

With an active mini whip and long wire antenna, I get a lot of stations on my radios. Even the Tecsun 880 and Satellit pickup stations with the stock antenna.

I would really like to hear something below the AM band ...

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to skim thru the NDB listings and could not find a single NDB in NV ! they must have dropped the low freq in favor of the VHF and satellite systems in the airports there !

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally found one, maybe, MCY airport beacon on 326 kHz, but it is about 60 Mi NW of downtown Vegas !
    It may be out of service, could not find it in my main resource list.

5. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

K8JD - thanks for the update. I can't tune it here, just static. Shouldn't VLF travel pretty far? I get MW/HF beacons out in the pacific here (San Francisco / San Clemente).

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe that beacon is out of service.
    Just using my TecSun portable with the internal ferrite stick ant, I get about 50 miles range for daylight local NDB signals here.
    B UT with my 260 ft long dipole in the trees I get beacons from hundreds of miles, in daylight, with my Yaesu FT990 transceiver, and at night thousands of miles on longwave, but that is a very sensitive radio :D
    !

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  7. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Where in the bands, or specific frequencies, are you finding NDBs? I am using an an active mini-whip by PA0RDT and as long as a wire that I can stretch out. My current radio is a Yaesu 450D and a FT-950 is on the way. While I am an active listener now, I look forward to getting my ticket to transmit :)

I have been calling myself a pre-amateur, an enthusiast with four HF rigs (Yaesu 450D, FT-950, Icom 718 and 706 MKII), and no license yet. The microphones are packed away until the license arrives.

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-directional_beacon

Read all about them. Great to know you are Medium wave listener, and maybe a Shortwave listener (SWL) too! Study up and get your license! Bill.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

10. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Another thing you can do is download the FAA 28 day subscription data, extract the navaid data into a .csv file, use a spreadsheet to sort and remove all the other navaids besides NDBs, remove the decommissioned ones that are still listed, strip out everything but the ID, frequency and lat/lon, and import that into Google Earth Pro to make a cool map.