ad: M2Ant-1

VK9MA comments

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K4LRX, Nov 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Let's hope he makes a good donation for his 'not in log'. Good education is not cheap. :D

2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

In my very early years of chasing DX I probably made the accidental wrong VFO mistake a couple of times and ever since I have been OCD about making sure I was on the correct VFO when transmitting split. I get the accidental error. I don't get it when the offender has been told "the DX is listening 5-10 up" and he still continues to call on the DX transmit frequency. I also don't get it when the DX is clearly asking for the W7 and some W2 or 3 or whatever persists in calling. If their excuse was they could not clearly hear the DX then don't call until you can.

There was a time when hams interested in working DX would develop the practice of first listening to the DX and any instructions s/he might give before venturing into the pileup. One would also listen for a bit to see if the DX had a particular approach to picking up callers---such as tuning up or down through the announced listening range. Doing that can save loads of frustration and can yield "in the log" a lot quicker than just calling on a random frequency within the listening range.

Used to be that all of us fledgling DXrs had an experienced DXr we could go to for advice/tutoring. Today's MO seems to be to look at the DX cluster, find a station you want/need, go to his transmit frequency and immediately begin calling without any effort to gather any further info before pushing the PTT switch or using the keyer.

I like to keep my blood pressure low so I don't get all PO'd at poor operating practices. I most often ignore them and just work the DX. If it is particularly annoying I will QRT or QSY and if I really want to work the station (there is only one I "need" and that is P 5) I'll come back later.

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Yes, I think this is the main problem. And again, for an OP that is aware of DX Clusters and its use, pleading ignorance is a bit rich.

And forgive me for not accepting the excuse that there is a shortage of elmers nowadays. There is no better source of info than the internet. All the hamradio groups, forums, etc. Some people are simply too lazy, and want to be spoon fed. Others enjoy playing dumb to outsmart the innocents.

We're deviating from the main topic now. Can somebody tell me where VK9MA is, so that I can start yelling my lasss two? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
  4. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

I try not to take anything personally. We've all got our own slant on things. After all, it's just a hobby.

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Thanks!

N2SUB likes this.
  6. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Now you've done it.

N2SUB likes this.
  7. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I'm abandoning hamradio here and now. Accepting suggestions for other past times that can be taken to be the most important thing in life. o_O

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe a good pastime might be learning a new language

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I'm already half proficient in 4, but learning a language is hard work, we are lazy people here. Ok...some of us, not all. :p

KJ4VTH likes this.
  10. N9NY

N9NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best to ignore them. Their purpose in life is to anger people.