ad: dxeng

Vista XXX-R power supply.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WB7DIE, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WB7DIE

WB7DIE Premium Subscriber

I picked up a Vista power supply model XXX-R and can not find a reference to it on any web-site. It appears well made, heavy and is well regulated. Sure would like to locate a schematic or owners manual. Any one have an idea?? Thanks, Gary. (WB7DIE)

2. W5GA

W5GA Ham Member

I didn't realize that Vista was so poorly designed that it required it's own power supply!!

3. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber

Vista sure is heavy, that's a fact. It takes a lot of power too. :D

Sorry, never heard of a Vista PS, we're just having fun here :)

If it's a linear supply, the schematic is probably pretty straight forward. You could probably draw it out on a piece of paper – a switch, fuse, transformer, rectifier, capacitor(s) and probably some regulation. The Astron supplies have published schematics and they are pretty standard in their design – good place to start.

Now if it’s a switched, you’re going to need a schematic!

Steve
    KV6O

4. A71AN

A71AN QRZ Member

My friend, what sort of power supply you are refering to?

Vista power supply ??? ( what is the rating of this power supply please ) ?

73 my friend

5. VE1IDX

VE1IDX Ham Member

Sorry I cannot help with a manual but I can tell you that I ran a Vista XXX-R power supply as a bench supply in the shop for many years and it was very good. It was well regulated and rated at 30 amps output which if I remember correctly was ICAS with a continous rating of 24 amps. Strange that I can find nothing on the net about it but with Bill Gates calling his latest version Vista the search engines are cluttered with computer related stuff.

6. KG6YTZ

KG6YTZ Ham Member

Y'know, with a model "number" like that, I'm not surprised that it's difficult to find any related info on the 'net... :D The number of unrelated "matches" must be absolutely staggering.

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member

Vista was a "brand name" for linear power supplies directed to the automotive/hobbyist market -- a few years ago. I have not seen "new models" for several years. Unless someone has a schematic diagram, you will have to use "reverse engineering" and available Astron schematics to help you determine "what is inside". The number of pass transistors on the heat sink is a good indicator of current capacity (amps) for the supply.
    I would highly suggest starting with Dave Metz's (WA0AUQ) article on the subject:
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/pdfs/seits-astron-article.pdf

Linear power supplies feature a large (heavy) transformer, bridge rectifier, a series of electrolytic capacitors (or a large cylinderical capacitor), an IC regulator [such as the LM723] and NPN pass transistors (2N3771, 2N3055, etc.) on an external heat sink.
    December 2005 QST article on linear power supplies:
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/pdfs/qst-2005-december-power-supply-analysis.pdf

These are relatively easy to repair and restore with an inexpensive DVM/VOM and some workbench time for proper troubleshooting. "shotgun" component replacement can get expensive and is often "overkill".

START with the Repeater Builders Technical web page that is focused on linear power supply (Astron) construction and repair.
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/astron-index.html

w9gb

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  8. AE5FD

AE5FD Ham Member

9. NZ0T

NZ0T Ham Member

I just picked up a Vista XX-R which is a 20 amp supply. Puts out 13.8 volts just fine but has AC hum on a transmitted signal. I opened it up and some mods have been done so if anyone comes up with a schematice it would be very helpful.
    Bill NZ0T

10. AJ9ON

AJ9ON Ham Member

I have the same power supply, did you ever find a schematic on the net?

11. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member

The XX-R schematic and parts list is available from http://www.manualman.com
    Put XX-R in the Search Box and click Go.

Pete, wa2cwa

12. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member

The schematic diagram for Linear Power Supplies that use the LM723 IC regulator and NPN pass trasnsitors on a heat sink for current handling are GENERIC !!! No magic here guys .... the schematics are largely the original 1970s Application Notes!!

Linear Power Supplies parts:

1 - Metal CASE
    1 - One large transformer usually supplying 18 to 20 VAC at current required (12 - 70 amps, depending on model), often with 2 secondary windings.
    1 (at least) - LARGE electrolytic capacitor rated at ~ 1,500 uFd for every ampere of outpur current (for GOOD filtering)
    1 - IC Regulator on a PC board, usually the 14-pin DIP LM723 (there can be others, like the LM317 and LM338, but rarely used in higher current supplies)
    1 - SCR or other overvoltage / overload protection (cheaper supplies skip this protection part!!)
    1 - 2N3055 or 2N3771 NPN pass transistor mounted on heat sink for ~ 7 amperes of outout at 13.8 VDC

Repeater Builders has the best collection of documentation for DIY repair.

These are amatuer radio operators that contributed information to this web page on Repeater Builders:
    Skipp May WV6F, Ron Rogers WW8RR, Mike Perryman K5JMP, Bob Meister WA1MIK, Jeff Kincaid W6JK, Rick Eastwood KB6LJO, Doug Marston WB6JCD, Don Best N6ALD, David Leeper K6DWL, Will Martin KA6LSD, JaMi Smith KK6CU (SK), George Henry KA3HSW, W.C. Cloninger, Jr. K3OF, David Metz WAØAUQ, Robert Schulz KC6UDS, Robert Burton KD4YDC, George Franklin WØAV, Richard Reese WA8DBW, Gary Eldridge KC8UD, Henry Clark KC4KZT, Greg Beat W9GB, Steve Duncan, WA4ITA, Brian Palmersheim KBØETC, A. Nony Mous and her cohorts.
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/astron-index.html
    Sorry -- no Heathkit education style "step by step" build instructions with pictorials here.

PDF of December 2005 QST article that explains how a linear power supply works, and uses an Astron RS35 as the "repair example".
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/pdfs/qst-2005-december-power-supply-analysis.pdf

David Metz WAØAUQ -- classic article that applies to ALL linear power supply designs. Can you guess the hamfest purchase brand? (Pyramid, Vista, No-name 1980s Far East junk)
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/pdfs/seits-astron-article.pdf

w9gb

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  13. KD8HCI

KD8HCI Ham Member

I too need help!!!!!

also the brand name is a CLIFFORD VISTA XXX-R

14. W4MRH

W4MRH Ham Member

I also recently picked up a Vista XX-R. I checked it out first and it had an output reading of 12.9vdc with a 15amp load (Yaesu FT-2800M at max output), and 14.1vdc at idle.

This afternoon I powered it up and I heard a Pop. After I disconnected the radio, I powered the PS back on(no pop this time) and let it set a minute then I checked the output voltage. It read 6vdc.

**I Started to ask a few dumb questions, but I finally got the QST article to work(I had to open then Save it then open it with adobe offline, otherwise it was too blurry to read) and also read the repeater-builders' article. I may still need to ask questions, but there is a lot of good info here to read thoroughly yet.

Sean-KE5OZI

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  15. W3PJL

W3PJL Ham Member

Vista X-R Power Supply

I have a hand drawn Schematic for the 10 amp Vista X-L supply. FREE if you request it from me at WA3PJL@GMAIL.COM

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  16. HP2VX

HP2VX Ham Member

Vista XX and XXX PS

My Vista XX-R 20 amps PS has been working fine for at least the past 20 years. I have a schematic but need to scan it. Is the same you have???

Virgilio

17. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member

Acording to AE5FD's link on post #8, "CLIFFORD" is the brand name and "VISTA XXXR" is the model number. It is listed as a 120vac to 12vdc, 35amp supply.

Do yourself a favor and order the schematic from the company in that link. If indeed it is a linear supply, you're in luck because they're pretty much all the same, circuit-wise. Appropriate component selection and the quality of mechanical construction are where most significant differences turn up. Compare your VISTA XXXR to the design described in this article link:

Regulated Linear Power Supply Construction
    What's inside your Astron®?
    David Metz, WA0AUQ

If you feel your supply could could stand to be improved upon, it's easy enough to modify/upgrade it with what you learn there.

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.