Virticle multi band antennas

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KM4YTW, May 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM4YTW

KM4YTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Im looking fod a good multi band antenna. I enjoy DX and was wondering if there is a good virticle that could do the job. Right now i have a inverted V 40 meter and a 80 meter dipole . I was thinking the cushcraft R9 . Ive seen higain ones that are cheaper. Im practically a new ham and not a lot of knoledge on antennas. Im sure a yagi beam is great for DX but thats much more money. Im running a yaesu ft 101e with a 1kw hallicrafters amp. Ive made contacts around the world on the 40 meter inverted v dipole but im looking to clean up the yard with something that looks more neat. Any of you guys with knoledge on this , your comments would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

2. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

re: " I'm looking to clean up the yard with something that looks more neat."

So, you're going with like a 6BTV and just a ground stake, cuz, otherwise you're looking at putting down ground radials for better results than your inverted V for 40 meters.

3. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I h
    I use three vertical antennas. My newest one is a "multi band" vertical for 40- to -10 meters. It is made by a company called, "Zero Five". What ever vertical you get, they always work much better if you install ground radials. This antenna here is a "ground plane" that does not require ground radials, but I laid 32 radials anyway which increases its effectiveness.

40-10GP.jpg

The fence posts I used to guy the vertical are actually perfectly straight, they look slanted because of the angle I used to take this picture. (Lens distortion) :)

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    KG7QJB, WB5YUZ and NH7RO like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice... I wonder if you made any measurements after the antenna was up, but before the radials went on the ground? and if you noticed any difference after the radials went down?

IOW, did you notice a measurable benefit to augmenting the ground plane with the radials?

Not sure that antenna would fit into the OPs desire to 'clean up the yard' though! (at least from the viewpoint of an XYL!, I think it's very attractive!) ;)

NH7RO likes this.
  5. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Verticals can be very effective dx antennas but you will need to use both halves of the antenna for proper performance (radiator + radials= complete antenna). The only way around that is to use a 1/4 wave vertical loop or small transmitting loop or vertical dipole.

If you elevate your vertical you can get by with as few as 1 or 2 radials per band of operation---otherwise you should lay down at least 32 or as many radials as your situation allows.

Search here or on YouTube for "DX Commander;" it's a 10 meters tall fan ground plane cleverly manufactured by Callum, M0MCX over in the UK. Covers 10-40meters and has no traps or coils or anything elese to introduce loss. It's a fan dipole of sorts in a vertical configuration.

I've built some elevated fan verticals here and they perform well even at five to eight feet above ground. Search "fan vertical guidance" in this same forum and you'll find my very long thread posted a couple of years ago--lots of pix about 5 or 6 pages in...

A Hustler BTV series is another good multiband vertical but you MUST lay down a proper radial field if you expect the best dx performance out of it.

If you could mount one on your roof instead of the ground it would be a lot better. (Remember, elevated Marconis require a minimum of tuned radials).

Lots of other suggestions possible but I've already spent too much time on the computer this morning and need to QSY to the "chores to do today" list...:D

Jeff

WB5YUZ likes this.
  6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I was crossing the Mojave Desert on Highway 58 a couple of weeks ago and I daydreamed about your Zero Five Farm when I saw the signs for "Apple Valley/Victorville":D

Another cool installation and I, too, am eager to hear about your observations about the extra radials.

Jeff

AJ6O likes this.
  7. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I had already installed the radials before the antenna arrived from "Zero Five". I did email Tom who is the owner of the company, and asked him if I installed ground radials would it help the verticals effectiveness. He said it would help a lot.
    I have two other Zero Five verticals in which as I added ground radials (36 33 foot long in a perfect circle) it lowed the SWR, and seemed to increase my receiver performance.

KG7QJB, NH7RO and WR2E like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The R9 is a pretty "busy" antenna but they seem to work well.

I have not installed an R9, but installed many R7's (decades ago!) and a few R8's which followed. My experience was they all work better when well elevated above ground, and then their "self contained" (already attached, rigid rod) radials were perfectly sufficient and adding more radials didn't do anything at all. But that only applies when elevated well above ground. If the R9 follows suit, then this suggestion should hold true.

If you choose the R9, install it as high above ground as possible on a strong support. Above the roof of the house is a good place. It's pretty tall and using lightweight rope guys tied midway up its length is probably a good idea to help long term survival in strong winds.

WB5YUZ and NH7RO like this.
  9. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a "full aluminium" mast with about 10m and at the bottom a Balun and a Tuner. So i can use it from 40m up to 10m without any problems. Please take care with the Radials, donĀ“t take too less of them!

NH7RO likes this.
  10. KD2RVW

KD2RVW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any of the mentioned antenna are good but don't skimp on the radials you can play with the number and length IE you need to stick it in a corner of your yard people get good results with as little of a 90 degree field where this is not ideal it will work what also is important is height generally higher is better especially with the commercial antennas google vertical fan dipoles for more info and ideas you have no idea what a change 5 to 10 feet can make