ad: Alphaant-1

Vintage QSL collection for sale from the Spark Museum in Bellingham

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by MMAGHAKIAN, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. MMAGHAKIAN

MMAGHAKIAN QRZ Member

IMG_0417.JPG The Spark Museum of Bellingham Washington is looking for a new owner for its collection of 10,000 amateur QSL cards from around the world from 1926 to the 1980's. many have not been sorted yet, the unmarked boxes are unsorted cards.
    please contact me and we can have a curator call you if necessary
    funds would be used to build exhibits to interest young people in science IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0467-1.jpg IMG_0424.JPG View attachment 493728 IMG_0425.JPG

N3GY and K2NCC like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

old qsl cards.jpg

=========================================== kangaroo2[1].gif
    ================================================== SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY k1lkp.jpg

Attached Files:

N3GY likes this.
  3. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Man those are cool!!! It would be great if they could dedicate a website and display all of them for everyone to enjoy

K5CQA, N3GY and KG5SFT like this.
  4. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

They can send the cards to me. K5CO

5. MMAGHAKIAN

MMAGHAKIAN QRZ Member

I guess people here don't care about motivating and inspiring the future scientists of America
    the funds from the sale of these cards would be used for science exhibits.
    I think more respect is called for......

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  6. W8JYZ

W8JYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mike, Have you found a buyer or a new home for the cards? Contact me at w8jyz@arrl.net. also am oldqslcards.com

K1LKP likes this.
  7. W8JYZ

W8JYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi again Mike, FYI, I have over 50 thousand cards in my collection listed on my website www.oldqslcards.com and another 15 thousand from DX and cards not yet listed on the database. It's the goal of my project to save as many old QSL Cards as possible and try and get them back into the hands of the people they mean the most to.
    Thanks again and 73.

Bob Green
    W8JYZ

w8jyz@arrl.net

KA0HCP, N3GY, K2NCC and 1 other person like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I'm in Tacoma and can come get them.

Let's work out a deal.

Dave
    W7UUU

K2NCC and AC7DC like this.
  9. N6RLS

N6RLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These may be taken - but (for future reference) such cards might be of interest to some other radio history museum - such as the California Historical Radio Society in Alameda, CA - www.californiahistoricalradio.com

N3GY, K2NCC and KG5SFT like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I ask again: I'm in Tacoma - let's work out something. I can easily come pick them up.

Please contact me

Dave
    W7UUU

KG5SFT likes this.
  11. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that the OP (original poster) wants to sell this collection, in order to raise funds for the mission of the museum. I guess the problem is that this asset is not very liquid; it is probably worth a bunch to the correct customer, and worth sending to the dumpster if you can't find the right customer. The impossibility of coming up with a reasonable price is probably the reason that most card collections end up in dumpsters.

I would love to see these go to W8JYZ, since he scans them and puts them online. I would donate $5 to make that happen, maybe enough other people would be interested in small donations to make this happen.

I have no interest in buying a big pile of old cards, but would pay $50 for one of my grandfather's old cards (WA2HTA). There might be a market for individual cards, again if they could be targeted at the correct buyers.

I see small batches of cards (say 10 at a time) sold on e-bay.

Jon
    AF7TS

KE0DZW likes this.
  12. KE0DZW

KE0DZW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would be onboard with helping out with this.

Ed

WX7LL likes this.
  13. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not going to worry about respecting some outfit I know nothing about beyond what they say they are going to do with the money they _might_ earn from selling boxes of old QSL cards.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily bad for them to sell them--that at least helps ensure that whoever buys them will be inclined to take care of them--but I believe they have exaggerated expectations about how much money they will get for them. ;)

14. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's a great idea, but I have the feeling these people imagine making considerably more money than that would probably get them. But, yeah, I'd like to see that too.

KP4SX and KG5SFT like this.
  15. N2BTD

N2BTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interested in the cards, private message sent !

Brian-N2BTD