ad: Mountaingoat-1

Video: W9BVX Helium Balloon Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB9VBR, Nov 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
  1. KB9VBR

KB9VBR Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    At the young age of 9, Bob W9BVX, visited an ARRL Field Day site with his dad and saw the most amazing thing; an HF antenna lifted into the air by a helium balloon. Ever since that day, his life's dream was to do the same thing. Watch now as he ticks another item off his 'bucket list'.

Video Produced by Michael Martens, KB9VBR

Thank you to the Wisconsin Valley Radio Association for assistance with this project: Http://www.wvraclub.org

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
    KK4VRE likes this.
  2. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

The second they cinched that sharp zip-tie on the balloon neck I knew it would cut into it. You always take another piece of latex and wrap it around the neck several times before using the zip-ties.

K2JBC and KA0HCP like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Paper logs rule!

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Surprised it lasted even an hour....

K2JBC and KK4VRE like this.
  5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried this one time. The wind kept taking it down wind and the VSWR would shoot up of course. It is definitely for a calm day!

6. K4ZA

K4ZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Details on resolving several of the problems displayed here: A Skyhook for the 90s, May 1997 QST...

KR4EE likes this.
  7. KD9CJX

KD9CJX Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually we are having a nylon net made to go around the balloon eliminating any stress on the balloon material. The nylon is light weight and shouldn't effect performance.

Wire will be attached to the net.

N4ZED, K2JBC and NL7W like this.
  8. W5ZML

W5ZML Ham Member QRZ Page

that really was great guy's ,let me ask you where do you buy the ballons and how much 73's great holiday's to all w5zml

9. W9MDB

W9MDB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where did you get your helium and how much did it cost? I've been trying to do this same thing to put up a 2M repeater at 500 ft but the local helium supply is non-existent.
    I'm considering switching to hydrogen if I can get that more easily.

10. WD4DUI

WD4DUI Ham Member QRZ Page

I did this once. Got the crap zapped out me until I put some inductance to ground. Also could not keep it vertical in the South Florida breeze.
    Live and learn and have fun!

11. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are going to 500 feet (winds pick-up significantly above 300 feet) you will find the size of the balloon needed to keep it at 500' (and it WILL be at an angle, as the wind will be blowing it sideways) ) will be huge. Additionally, there is no envelope (balloon) material of size that will keep your gas in for very long, and you can't exactly recover the gas when you are done for the day (a few hours?), the gas volume needed will not be cheap, the weight of the tanks will be a pain, etcetera, etcetera. The balloon idea doesn't really work out unless you are fairly low (under 150'), or go extremely high (over 1,000') and add a bunch of weight to the line, along with a directional bay line against the heading of the wind, which of course makes things very expensive, requires a bunch of people, etc.

You are probably much better off spending your money on a drone (quadracopter). With a decent drone (one you can program to remain on station at a specific altitude and GPS coordinates) and some lightweight wire (or micro QRP repeater), you'll be able to easily hit 500', not have to bother with piloting it during its hover, and there will be a whole lot less trouble to get exactly what you are attempting to due (plus you can do much more with the drone). A few extra battery packs on hand, and you'll be set for a few hours of DX each time you deploy. The expense of this scenario should actually be just modestly more over the long run.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    W1YW likes this.
  12. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Years ago, I researched balloon-suported wire antennas. A single large balloon tends to be dragged down with increased wind. A disc attached to the bottom of the balloon reduces the effect. The effect is further lessened when the antenna/tether uses several smaller balloons spaced at intervals up the antenna/tether. The best setup uses a "Kytoon" (a blimp-shaped balloon). The Kytoon steers itself into the wind, and wings act to increase lift with increased wind.

The balloon material is also of concern. While latex can be over-inflated a bit w/o bursting the balloon, it is heavy and porous. You need more Helium, and will need to keep feeding it. Mylar is much lighter and no porous but, won't take much over-inflation. The gas pressure varies with temperature so, it's best to keep that in mind.

Lastly, you don't want to buy Helium from your local party supply store, as the "Party Helium" gas they sell contains air (and therefore has less lift per unit of volume). Buy the gas from a welding or industrial gas supplier.

Bryan WA7PRC

13. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope nobody ever tries to weld with that party stuff!

14. KH6KG

KH6KG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used kites and balloons (www.qsl.net/g4vgo) and it was easy to work around the world on Top Band from G-land, 9V1 and YB5.

Kites for a windy day, balloons for a calm day, like having a golf club for every occassion.

I have been doing it for years.

73 de Bob KH6KG/G4VGO/9V1GO

15. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Box kites".