[Video] ISS SSTV! December 2017 Pass Simulations - 9 USA passes

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KG4AKV, Dec 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw full strength once the ISS was up about 6 or 7 degrees elevation, but started copying below 2 degrees elevation.

Sometimes packet is on during the SSTV, and other times it is off. Looks like packet went off before the SSTV testing started, based on ariss.net

73!

2. KD9CKB

KD9CKB Ham Member QRZ Page

just got this one with my icom id-51a HT Untitled.png

WQ2H and WD9EWK like this.
  3. KE4AZZ

KE4AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WD9EWK likes this.
  4. WD9EWK

Did you record the received signals on the D74 during the pass? The built-in recording function writes 256kbps WAV files, nice files for decoding SSTV with software on a computer or tablet - or you can play it back after the pass to your mobile phone.

73!

5. WD9EWK

Hi!

I missed the earlier pass around 0339 UTC due to a phone call, but I was outside for the 0515 UTC pass that just went by. An overhead pass, I had partial copy on two pictures, along with a perfect picture in the middle of the pass as the ISS was going above me.

The first of the 3 pictures started just as the ISS was rising from my northwest. Houses were in the way, and I didn't really get good - but not great - copy until the last few seconds of the transmission:

20171207-0516UTC06-ISS_SSTV_pic.jpg

The next picture, starting around 0519 UTC, was the best picture of this pass:

20171207-0519UTC47-ISS_SSTV_pic.jpg

The last picture started just before 0524 UTC as the ISS was heading to the southeast, and the transmission finished just as the ISS elevation dropped below 1 degree in that direction:

20171207-0523UTC57-ISS_SSTV_pic.jpg

For all 3 pictures, I used my TH-D74 HT and Elk log periodic to receive and record the transmissions. Back in the house, I moved those recordings (WAV files) to a laptop, and then ran them through RX-SSTV to get these pictures. I didn't have to use the Re-Sync or Slant adjustments in RX-SSTV for the second picture, as that was perfect copy. Short of being on a hilltop or mountaintop, I don't think I could have done much better on the other two pictures, as parts of those transmissions happened very close to AOS and LOS.

With the scheduled power-off for the current SSTV test coming in a couple of hours, and the other transmissions are timed to coincide with passes over Moscow, this is probably all I'll get from this round of transmissions. I don't mind trying for these pictures, as the ISS SSTV tests don't happen all the time.

73!

WQ2H and K4KDR like this.
  6. WQ2H

WQ2H Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow - excellent copy on a few of these images !! Beautiful 4/12 - mine was really blurry.

I'm putting my Rx up on my QRZ page - got several more but they were terrible. I'm using the MMSSTV in "Auto" mode - seems to work pretty well.

Now all I need is a decent VHF antenna !! :)

7. KE4AZZ

No , I used Robot36 on my cell phone to decode live...

8. KE4AZZ

I was all set up in the backyard with my ht to catch the last pass, it was less then mile away...at least it's pass was....heard nothing at all however, the first pass(12:09) that was in range I received the following image...[​IMG]

9. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Was scheduled to stop at 17:30z, so no surprise the last pass was a bust. I was out with the baofeng+robot36 and got nothing, either.