Video: How to setup Two Factor Authentication w/o Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, a lot of people have been asking "Do I have to have a Cell Phone in order to use Two Factor Authentication (2FA)?" The answer is a resounding NO YOU DON'T, and this video will show you how.

This video is best viewed in full screen. Be sure and click the square [] at the bottom right of the video for full screen viewing.

73, -fred AA7BQ

W3ESE, EB1BSV, W5BIB and 4 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Way cool!! This should help folks a LOT!! Nicely done...

Dave
    W7UUU

KG7MAK likes this.
  3. N0XL

N0XL Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good info. Now I have a question. I have already set up Two Factor Authentication using a phone. I am also verified. Is there an easy way to change from the phone to WinAuth without starting over from scratch and losing my verification?

4. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. First login, then go to your Account page. Click on the link to Manage your 2FA and then choose to DISABLE it. Then, immediately go back to the account page and set it up again. It should take only a minute.

73, -fred

NG9F and N0XL like this.
  5. W2RMT

W2RMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another great two-factor authentication application is Authy. Works and syncs across multiple platforms (Windows, Android, and more). Check it out: https://authy.com/

Rick - w2rmt

6. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry. It is still too complex (for me). I'll continue to be an
    "unverified seller"./

KT5OT likes this.
  7. W4XKE

W4XKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like I'm out'ta luck. I don't run Windows and WinAuth seems to be written for Bill Gates enthusiasts. I found some authorization applications for LINUX but they appear to be directed at authenticating users on a server system - probably running APACHE? Oh well. No phone - no Windows - no service.

KT5OT likes this.
  8. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Q.

If WinAuth is setup, and I disable it until I may want to buy or sell something ..is it okay to close WinAuth?

Does it appear somewhere else so you can open it, when you want to buy or sell?

Q.

If I do this on a Windows tablet and I have it disabled, then use my iPad Mini 2, then I use the ordinary QRZ Login until I want to use WinAuth if I want to buy and sell?

Is that it?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  9. KI5IO

KI5IO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred - Good and detailed explanation of 2FA. I've been using for some time with codes sent to my iPhone. Have never experienced a time-out issue (might just be lucky).

I watched the video for setting up 2FA on my laptop and did that change this afternoon. Flawless change and transition.

Security on our machines and APPs is a never-ending chore.

I've recently had a replacement credit card hacked within 3-days of receiving same this past year. Keeping ahead of the crooks is nigh on impossible.

Thanks very much.

10. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, you can do that. Except for the part where you want to sell something. Then you have to be Verified.