ad: AC6LA-1

VHF / UHF in Bellingham Washington

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KJ6HZH, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJ6HZH

KJ6HZH Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently moved to Bellingham, WA and immediately checked out the list of repeaters at mbarc.org (ham club serving Bellingham and Whatcom County). I seem to hear anything going on with the VHF and UHF repeaters.

Here's what I can hit
    145.230 w7bpd (barely)
    146.740 k7skw (barely)
    147.160 k7skw (pegs the meter)

All I've been able to hear are these repeaters identifying themselves and a brief conversation last Friday morning on 147.160. I can neither hit nor hear anything on 1.25m, 70cm, or 6m.

I'm on the bottom floor of a three-story apartment building with a Yaesu VX-7 and an n9tax slimjim taped to the exterior wall. Is this my problem?

2. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried the HT outside and/or at a local higher elevation?

3. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here in little Olde Shropshire. They're all on the hinternet

Mel G0GQK

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did a quick search on your callsign on the k5ehx.net site, and it came up with 28 repeaters that should cover your area, some of them across the border in VE7. I know some of the repeaters there are on serious mountains, with good coverage. I'd start by programming in the repeaters from the k5ehx site, and see if you hear anything then.

If the exterior wall is concrete, or contains a lot of metal like the foil they use to wrap new buildings, that would be a pretty effective RF shield. Try your HT from a more open location like a local park.

5. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

This has been a very stimulating dialogue with the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.