VHF Radiophone (business band circa 1994)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7QPS, Mar 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WU8Y likes this.
  3. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I got that beaten into me at school...so much so that I still twitch over that sort of thing 18 years after finishing.

4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The old 152 and 454 MHz mobile phone frequencies were auctioned off several years ago.
    Some of the auction winners lease or sell the frequencies to other licensees.
    As a result there are a lot of other things on those frequencies now.
    More information an links at https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Part_22_Paging_Channels

5. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In addition to the old mobile phone systems mentioned earlier in this thread, it was not uncommon for some taxi services to be setup on VHF Hi with the base TX on freq A, and the mobiles all TX on freq B. This kept the mobiles from talking to each other as they could only RX freq A.

K5PHW likes this.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep the cab channels had a fixed spacing between the base and mobile 152/157 MHz freqs so radios could be made with a common rx/tx xtal and the IF to match the split. Specific radio models made for taxi service were around In those days.
    The UHF Taxicab channels were on a standard 5 MHZ split like the UHF repeaters but did not repeat ! We had duplex (4-wire) landlines from the radio sites to the dispatch offices.
    One of my early jobs in Two way was at the mobile telephone garage installing VHF mobile fones and some repair work. We monitored the traffic (to ensure proper operation of the base equipment) . WOW some of the stuff people talked about !!!

K5PHW likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not commercial radio but I had fun listening to the old analog cell phone band on my RS scanner! OMG the things you'd hear - the two most common "salacious subjects" were cheating spouses and drug deals. Occasional phone sex calls ewww. Perfectly legal to listen back then.

Also you could hear all the analog cordless phones in the neighborhood too. Not as juicy as the cell band where I lived but still fun once in a while.

It's all completely changed now of course. Even listening to police calls is a challenge if you're not a programmer for dialing in trunk tracking

Dave

N7ANN and WZ7U like this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

In the days before cellular telephones, when we had TV channels up to 83, the rule of thumb was that if was transmitted “in the clear”, there would be no expectation of privacy.

Today, between changes to the Communications Act, the rise of HIPAA and privacy rules & regulations, and the potential for litigation... it wouldn’t happen, since no one would dare even consider using a VHF transmitter in the clear. These conversations still happen, but over the cellular network, using digital phones with built-in encryption. So even if you still had a scanner that could pick up the frequencies, you wouldn’t hear anything intelligible. Just digital hash.

WU8Y likes this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

..today, But not then. (Not that it would be appropriate, but it wouldn’t have been illegal)

10. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Better not tell them about all the cheap SDRs that can certainly "receive transmissions in the frequencies allocated to domestic cellular services".

Maybe you could argue about the definition of "receive" because good luck decoding anything.