ad: SteppIR-1

Very expensive USPS stamp

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by N5YPJ, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

So in today's mail I find a notice that I am delinquent in this month's vehicle payment. That set me on the trail of what happened to the check that was written out and mailed seven days before the payment was due; normally two to three working days after the check is mailed it is processed. A check of the credit union's member service department reveals that the check has never been cashed resulting in my spending $30 to stop payment. Then when I call the credit union where the vehicle is financed I am told that I owe a $15 late fee on top of the payment. I was instructed to go to a financial center location in town and make my payment there to get quickest action in posting to my account. Unfortunately none of the credit unions we deal with accept online payments of any kind.

Gee what an expense that was, $45, all because the post office lost my letter!!:mad: Credit unions seem to have gotten just as expensive as banks have. Where is the concern for the member.
  2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The cheque must have gotten routed through the Dallas Bulk Mail Center! That particular facility loses, or at least delays, mail on a very regular basis. It is on the list of facilities to be closed. Also, every few months there is an article in the Dallas Morning News about several employees being arrested for mail theft.

Glen, K9STH
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

What surprises me the most is that someone still sends a written check through the mail.
  4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We had a new USPS regional processing facility here, that they spent $$$millions on not long ago. Now, they've closed it and all of our mail gets routed through the Twin Cities for processing. What used to be overnight delivery now takes 2-3 days minimum.
  5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you able to claim from the Post office, seems to me you have a legitimate gripe
  6. N5YPJ

Had I sent it certified return receipt perhaps but via regular mail there is no way for me to prove to USPS that I mailed the letter.

USPS once crushed a radio that I was shipping to a repair center to where the point of where it could not be repaired. When I filed a claim a line supervisor asked me how did I expect to collect the insurance on a radio that didn't work anyhow?
  7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Credit Unions were at the forefront of customer service initiatives including automatic payments. My CU offers discount/rebate as incentive for folks to sign up as it saves them money and ensures prompt payment. This started over 20 years ago. I'm surprised in this age your CU doesn't "accept online payments of any kind."
  8. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

There isn't a law prohibiting any type of financial organization from calling themselves a credit union. Since credit unions generally have a good reputation, and being that there are parasites for everything, some companies have popped declaring themselves as credit unions so they can take advantage of people's faith in credit unions.

With that said, a real credit union would waive the fee if you have a history of prompt payments. And any type of banking business that isn't online today is probably not worth dealing with.

I wouldn't do business with a bank or credit union that isn't online. I do almost everything online because it saves me the gas and I hate explaining what I want to banks, retailers, and everyone else.
  9. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, the only payment I can't pay online is the rent. Greatest thing since sliced bread. And when I mail that check I watch my account until I see it go through. But what a pain! To actually write something and find a stamp and stuff in in the envelope and then schlepp to the Post Office...UGH!
  10. N5YPJ

I understand that our little local credit union where we keep our checking and savings accounts solely due to the fact that they are the only credit union in town (we are remotely located), is woefully behind the times but where the vehicle is financed is a major credit union in San Antonio with branches in at least three states. The best that they can offer me is bank draft which I really dislike but may go ahead and do to avoid future problems such as this one.
  11. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't automatically blame the post office. I had this happen to me about 15 years ago. For about 4 months I had serious problems with my cell phone provider, the electric power utility, and my car insurance. All of them kept insisting I was missing payments or paying late. What it turned out was some prankster was breaking into the local public mailbox and then driving around throwing mail out the window. My payments that were "late" were ones that people found in the street and put back into the mail.
  12. N5YPJ

Yeah a real PITA to have to write a check. I look forward to being check free one day very soon. We pay everything online including our mortgage on a credit card then end of the month pay the entire credit card balance .... except for an occasional emergency repair, and it works really well for us.
  13. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

I still pay most of my bills by check also.
    Small regional banks a credit unions don't always offer the same payment features that large banks do. However they make up for it in customer service.
    For example when we banked with Chase I could pay all of my bills online and choose what day each month I wanted them paid. Now that we bank with a small bank in town we don't have that option
    They only do automatic withdraw. that leaves it up to the payee to decide when they are paid. The trade off is better service and I can write a check if I choose.
  14. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

I use my bank's "online billpay" which means the bank sends a paper check (or electronic) to the recipient. It prevents anyone I'm paying from stealing my bank account or credit card number, and yes this is rampant online. Also, if the payee ever claims I didn't pay, the bank starts a fight with them. I had it happen once, and got a "late fee". The bank paid the fee and got the late payment removed from my credit report!
  15. KD7SIZ

KD7SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

All the banks in Las Vegas, I think, offer free bill payment ( online and phone ) where the bank mails the payment check and has a guarantee for non-payment penalties ( of course you have to do your part in allowing for enough time for usual payment ).
  16. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

A few months ago I realised it was approaching the deadline for a credit card payment, so I sent it priority mail. The postal employee assured me that it would arrive at least a day ahead of time. I should have requested a return receipt. A few days later I got a bill for late payment. They claimed it arrived one day AFTER the deadline. I suspect they indeed got it on the day of the deadline, but deliberately sat on it for one day so that they could collect the fee.

I explained to the guy who works at the post office what happened, and he told me that he once hand carried a payment to the financial institution and delivered it in person the day of the deadline. He was charged a late payment fee because it took them two days to move his payment envelope from the reception desk back to the department that was supposed to receive the payment.

It is always a good idea to insist on a written receipt when you hand carry any time-sensitive item to its destination, even when you personally see them take it. If he had a receipt saying they received it on that day, I don't see how they could have made a late payment charge stick, since once they received the item, it would be their responsibility to get it internally delivered to the right person or department.
  17. KA3JLW

KA3JLW Ham Member QRZ Page

Credit unions have limited services in exchange for a different set of rules, most importantly tax related. So B of A cant just call itself a credit union though I suspect they'd love the tax advantages.
  18. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the exact thing happen to a mortgage payment years ago. Fortiunately it didn't do anything to my credit. I switched to bank draft so it wouldn't happen again. So now all my major bills (mortgage, electric, water, phone, cable etc) are automatic drafts. Don't have to worry about that anymore.

19. K2NCC

K2NCC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No doubt. I haven't written a check in at least 10 years.
  20. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. Whenever I'm on line at the store to pay for my stuff and the customer ahead of me whips out their checkbook, I just want to hold up my method of payment and say, "Debit card."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.