Vatican City Radio Antennas

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by WA4BRL, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
  1. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I just saw on TV some big antennas at the Vatican radio station. There were two large but beautiful Log-periodic arrays on top of impressively tall self-supporting towers. One seemed capable of approximately 10 to 30 MHz and the other maybe 30 MHz to 200 MHz. They were gorgeous installations in among all the beautiful old buildings and manicured landscapes. Each enhanced the other well.

This view was during coverage of the current Pope abdicating his position and ceremonially leaving the Vatican. I wasn't really paying attention but I happened to look up as they were following the guy's car heading to the Vatican's helipad. I'm glad I looked up when I did; surprisingly I did see something interesting!
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It belongs to HV5ØVR.
  3. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw it too, but it was NOT HV50VR, at least NOT the pictures
    on the HV50VR QRZ page.

What I saw was a single log-periodic antenna atop
    a fairly tall self-supporting tower. Dur to the fact the video was from
    a news helo, it was impossible for me to estimate the height
    of the tower, but a SWAG would be 75-100 feet.
    It was right in the middle of a residential area.

You do know what a SWAG is....RIGHT ????

S Stupid
    W Wild
    A Ass
    G Guess !
  4. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

It was probably the transmitter site for Vatican Radio, the international broadcasting arm of the Holy See.

I checked their schedule and at the time of this post, they're broadcasting on 9660 KHz.
  5. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

probably not--those are in suburban rome.
  6. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw those on TV as well and had to do a double take. In the video here, watch at 30:20 to about 31:20

It appears to be the original Vatican Radio facility and is called the Marconi Radio Center
    It's #47 on the map

Antennas.jpg scene01516.jpg

What type of log antenna would the v-shaped one be?

7. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that is exactly what I saw. Both are seen in the stretch from 30:23 - 31:17 in the video.
  8. AB5R

AB5R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny, that is exactly what I was trying to identify what brand antenna that was. Let me know:
  9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a stacked array...the reason the arrays aren't parallel is so that the relative spacing is optimum over the entire frequency range of array. At HIPAS, we had a PYRIMID array of 4 wire log periodics for our ionosonde.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.