Using up old chips

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KL7AJ, Feb 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I "inherited" a pile of analog and digital chips from an estate "sale" (actually a giveaway) about ten years ago....FINALLY finding the time to sort through them all. Lots of PLLs and 555/566s in the lot and some TTL and CMOS. But the real find is a monolithic function generator-on-a-chip. I'm going to use that for a local oscillator for a vlf receiver. Not sure what I'll do with all the PLLs, but I suppose one can never have too many of those.
    Stay tuned.

2. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was reading through a QEX last night from a few years ago, and the author designed a PLL signal generator that worked with controlling one of the slim AD9850 DDS boards, with a PIC16877 and a 12F675 for the rotary encoder. He used the PLL to replace the 125 MHz crystal on the DDS.

Ted, KX4OM

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Melt them all down and make a big POWER amp chip out of them :)

4. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Crunch them up and put them on top of a casserole.

5. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

Send then to Pat, W6MHZ.

KF5RRF likes this.
  6. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a "handi-finder" using a 555 once.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Eric,

Not all "olde" IC's are obsolete. The venerable LM723 (and other manufacturer's equivalent) regulators, even though well over 35-40 years old, are still in use, even in some "new" designs., and won't go away any time soon. The same goes for IC's such as the ubiquitous '555 timer chip. Even original TTL digital chips have a place, even if lower power (or faster) versions are now available. Sometimes power consumption or speed is not the most important consideration; only the logic matters. Put them to use, rather than resigning them to "e-waste."

KB0MNM likes this.
  9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, I use the occasional TTL at work, when some simple logic is needed. We have some chips from the 80s that work just fine, and the DIPs are hand-solderable!

KB0MNM likes this.