User-made patch restores Windows Update for blocked processors

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W9GB, Apr 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

User-made patch restores Windows Update (Windows 10) for blocked processors
    TechSpot
    by Cal Jeffrey
    Apr 20, 2017, 7:00 AM
    http://www.techspot.com/news/69018-user-made-patch-restores-windows-update-blocked-processors.html

The fix patches Windows .DLL files so that the CPU version check is bypassed.
    Zeffy supposedly reverse-engineered the KB4012218 update, which was the update Microsoft put out to block Windows Update on computers running the Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors.

Digital Trends concludes that the speed at which Zeffy was able to come up with the workaround indicates that Microsoft’s block was less about compatibility concerns and more about forcing users to switch to Windows 10.

KK4NSF likes this.
  2. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya think?

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Whaaaaat? That's crazy talk.

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last 2 paragraphs, in italics, are from the author of article.
    Read, Enjoy.

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

didn't I say the same thing a few weeks ago? I think I did:

"From this, I can only surmise that this Update Message is just another attempt to push everyone toward WIN10, even against their will. Rather than let the older systems live a full life and die a natural death, MS is actively trying to kill off their older OSs. My assumption is that MS is pushing WIN10 since it appears to allow them unfettered access to one's data, and greater control over what a user can do with their own systems. They want the end user to only be able to do what they want them to do. It's sort of like the movie I-Robot....with MS playing the role of Vicki."

;)

6. W9FTV

I did and I enjoyed it. It's sad day when an amazing grasp of the obvious is passed off as expertise. :D

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Avoid board meetings at major corporations .... tin-foil hats common.

8. W9FTV

Governance and root cause analysis meetings are about the same, too. Come to think of it, avoid all meetings. :p