use of 146.520 MHz FM simplex calling frequency ?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AG6JU, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
  1. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am wondering, how should I use 146.520 MHz FM simplex calling frequency ? do I need to use like Marine VHF CH16 ? which is 146.520 MHz should be used briefly to establish communication, or calling other station, once communication is established, need to move off to other simplex frequency ? is there any rule or tradition on usage ?
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, that is the definition of a calling frequency.

That said, if you live in the boondocks and the frequency is never used, it's not unheard of to just stay on the frequency and have at your QSO.
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are different philosophies. One argument for not ragchewing on the calling frequency is that if people ragchew there, nobody will monitor it, which may well be part of the problem.

We have some people here who ragchew there on occasion, and I hear some from the middle of Wisconsin fairly often, too. The funniest thing is that people will make contact on the local repeater and move off that to .52. The most active simplex users around here use to be on 146.58, but I haven't heard much there recently.

146.52 is not a lost cause. I do hear people using it when I travel, more often that you'd expect, and sometimes out in the midst of noplace, too. It's always in my scan list.
  4. KB9LXP

KB9LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Last summer I worked a guy in Illinois on a fluke e-skip or something. He held 52 making long distance contacts, keeping them short and on to the next guy. Sounds like he was having fun, and because many monitor 52, was able to work em.
    I say....If your working a pile up on 52......keep going until your done!!!
  5. KD8FYI

KD8FYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Channel 16 is different from .52, it's also monitored as an emergency channel so you make your contact and move quickly to another chanel. I think channel 9 is a more relaxed calling channel. .52 is calling channel but not usually too busy, go ahead and make short friendly qso's. This might help drum up more activity. If you need to make longer more serious or regularly scheduled qso's go ahead and move to a different frequency. At least that's my phylosophy. :)

6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

My opinion on any "calling frequency" is to go ahead and have a QSO on the frequency. Especially on the SSB "calling frequencies", this can be an indication that the band is actually open. However, do not make "long winded" transmissions and leave plenty of time before the next station transmits to allow other stations a chance to "break in".

Glen, K9STH
  7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I figure calling frequency ends up in QSO, so all is good. Generally given the usage of 52 there isn't a problem.
  8. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber QRZ Page

It is like any other "calling frequency"; use it but be aware that it *is* a calling frequency and leave a lot of time between transmissions in case others want to use it. If you foresee a long winded ragchew ahead, best to move off. Like most I like to see some calling frequency activity as often many listen without transmitting and hard to see openings but if there is an opening, hogging the calling frequency is not desirable.

Bill N9DSJ
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would say if the Frequency is not in use then you can use it freely.

If it is busy just break in politely using your call sign, then move the party that you are calling to another frequency.

It is as a normal simplex frequency in these parts.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

That is what we do here. If someone wants to use the frequency to make a call we will move off to 58 or just stand by. Either way it's always polite to relinquish a calling frequency if asked. I would like to hear more simplex activity around here. In fact, I would like to se a resurgence of 2 meter AM simplex. There is a ton of really nice and very inexpensive old 2 meter AM gear available.
  11. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Monitored 146.52 going to the Belton, Texas hamfest weekend before last. In the past, .52 had no
    activity at all. This time, I was just driving along (4am) and out of the blue, someone threw out their
    call ! Almost ran off the road! Turned out the guy was 15 miles behind me and going to the same
    hamfest. Before we got to Belton, there were 6 mobile stations talking back and forth and having
    a blast. Met up at the hamfest and enjoyed that as well.
    Like others have already said, with as little use as .52 normally seems to have, having a qso on it
    doesn't seem like a bad thing as long as you give others a chance to jump in and make a call too.
    I'm just glad to see 2 meter simplex being used more!
  12. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I and a small group here in WI are revitalizing 2 meter AM, I hope there is more luck than my attempts at 2 meter CW......

Yes .52 IS a calling frequency, for people to continue monitoring, it is best to call, and if not just a few words, QSY to a near, but difffernt frequency. People looking for openings will tune, I hope, a few Khz looking for QSO's up and down ffrom .52.
  13. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

My friend and I were on 144.200 this morning, as you know thats the 2m ssb calling frequency. Sure enough another station came in between us. No problem, my friend ended up working him, I just listened as I was in the middle of my peanut butter and jelly sammich.. :)
  14. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Love the Belton Arena, looks like a big ol flying saucer...
  15. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Although I keep 52 in the scan list on the Motorola in the car, I rarely hear any action, and I'm in a populated area too.

But if you want some fun and ever do any general aviation, throw out a shout on a repeater pair, bring up a mess of them, call "CQ from an airplane," and say you're QSY to 52. Let the pileup begin !!

I've done this on flights between DC to the Outer Banks of NC, and have worked stations hundreds of miles away on simplex thanks to being at around 3000 feet.
  16. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

National Simplex

Back in the Good-Old-Days before synthesizers, 146.52 MHz was the National Simplex Frequency. There was seldom any switching to another channel for a QSO because most hams did not own a lot of crystals. Perhaps in some areas it was used as a calling channel, but not anywhere that I am familiar with. Then about 15 years ago the ARRL decided it should be a calling channel and they changed the designation in the repeater directory and on their bandplan.

After the ARRL changed their designation, I never heard any change in operating practices.

My own opinion is that it is good to have a national simplex channel, but whether it is used as a calling channel or not should depend on local conditions. Considering the other posts on this thread, it seems that there is some variation around the country but .52 is rather lacking in activity. So just monitor the channel for a while, and see what is happening in your area.

A related item: many clubs or groups that get on simplex and talk a lot usually select some other simplex frequency as a club or group frequency. That keeps a lot of the more long winded traffic off of .52.
  17. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

the difference between Maritime channel 16 and 146.520 is that it is required to monitor channel 16 frequency as it is designated as a calling frequency where you establish your contact then move off to either a ship-to-ship or ship-to-shore channel. Conversations cannot be held on channel 16, other than to establish what channel you are moving to, generally because the Coast Guard will come on the channel and ask you to move to a working frequency.

Operation on 146.520 is entirely a gentlemans' agreement between hams. Using the frequency is OK, but if other traffic comes on the channel, you should yield the frequency and move to any other frequency that the stations in the conversation agree upon. But, there is not a legal requisite to do so. It is just a good operating practice.

So, IMHO, I would say,listen and use it as a local QSO frequency, and listen to it just in case somthing of real importance comes on there needing your or someone elses help.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  18. KJ6LFD

KJ6LFD Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep it in my scan group but seldom hear any traffic around here. When I do it is usually somebody passing through the area looking for local information.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.