ad: k1jek

Use Ham Radio without a license?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4AX, Sep 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

§97.3 Definitions.
    (a) The definitions of terms used in part 97 are:

(1) Amateur operator. A person named in an amateur operator/primary license station grant on the ULS consolidated licensee database to be the control operator of an amateur station.

(5) Amateur station. A station in an amateur radio service consisting of the apparatus necessary for carrying on radiocommunications.

Intriguing as the amateur station as defined in (5) can't do much without an operator as defined in (1). It would seem to me that as far as the FCC is concerned, operation of an amateur station can only be done by an amateur operator--either directly or as a control operator. Any person not an amateur operator or not having a control operator present cannot legally operate an amateur station for any reason. In practical matters is the forgoing true? Probably not, but any person using the equipment in such a manner should be prepared to explain and defend their actions.

KI4AX likes this.
  2. KD8EDC

KD8EDC Ham Member QRZ Page

And remember, from the Tech Exam:

Q: What is the FCC Part 97 definition of an amateur station

A: From § 97.3 Definitions - "A station in an Amateur Radio Service consisting of the apparatus necessary for carrying on radio communications"

3. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW! So to you, preppers are a parody? Maybe the preppers you know, but a real prepper wouldn't tell you they were a prepper. In the cases of Irma and Harvey, a prepper would have enough supplies on hand to survive until help came. In instances like natural disasters, winter storms, or extended power outages of any kind, you need to be somewhat prepared.

At this time, my Dad is in Florida without electricity or water. He has a battery array and a generator to run his air conditioning, refrigerator, lights, and ham station, he's got a supply of food and water, and will survive comfortably until utilities are restored. It's a minor inconvenience. Others in the area are in shelters.

I have a similar stockpile although not quite as extensive as his. SC is not safe from hurricanes or other natural disasters, but I can survive for at least a month. I'm not a gun nut, but in a true disaster situation, nobody entering my front yard will make it to the door.

KA2BPP and KK6NOH like this.
  4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I have a related question. Too lazy to look it up, maybe someone here knows. Will a legal operator be in trouble if he either knowingly or not talks to an illegal station?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Noticed that distinction when reading 97.403/405 it's about the station not the individual would indicate that any person present at the station licensed or not would be able to operate in the emergency situation(s) enumerated.

6. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that used egg cartons on the wall in the OP's post? Makes strange wall paper.

7. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet another carelessly delivered generalization upon "preppers". Well, there are yada-yada "preppers", and also there are real serious highly intelligent and motivated preppers, just like there are no-code-and-proud-of-it "hams", and also real radio operators.

Berj / KI3U

KK6NOH likes this.
  8. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. If you do that fire and brimstone will fall from the sky and consume you!!! ;);)

9. K1ABX

K1ABX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's one weird formula. Being reasonably prepared for likely disasters in a given area, yet being
    super secretive about it ?

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, some people stretch the gnat's hide that the loopholes in Part 97 provide into a complete three piece suit of clothes, too. It is certainly not FCCs intention to authorize blanket use of amateur radios by unlicensed persons. But in the case of a bona fide emergency, those rules go out the window.

Now, what is a bona fide emergency? A hurricane 400 miles away? A cat stuck in a tree? Anything you think is an emergency? No, I don't think so.

We have one county sheriff here who isn't keen on getting involved with amateur radio for emergencies, but he has a large number of 2 meter HTs that he says he will hand out to all his volunteers in the event of a disaster. Is that a legitimate use of amateur radio? I don't think so. But sadly, it's a view held by a lot of law enforcement. Many of them think they can simply declare a RACES emergency and confiscate all ham radios for their own use! I am not making this up!

Yes, some Prepper groups do preach the benefits of having a Baofeng in the drawer, and lots of prepper outfitters carry them and other kinds of radio gear for that purpose. I had a group of church ladies drive quite a ways in order to talk to me about getting set up for ham radio for emergencies. Their church is gearing up to be able to provide their own comms during the apocalypse (there seem to be a lot of these folks around here). When I talked about classes and licensing, they informed me that they weren't interested in getting licensed, they just wanted to use the radios. :(

K1ABX likes this.