ad: ProAudio-1

USAF wants to improve HF communications

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

USAF wants to improve HF communications

New Scientist magazine reports the US Air Force is working on plans to improve HF radio propagation by releasing ionised gas in the upper atmosphere using a fleet of micro satellites

As well as increasing the range of radio signals, the USAF says it wants to smooth out the effects of solar winds, which can knock out GPS, and also investigate the possibility of blocking communication from enemy satellites.

The story says there are at least two major challenges. One is building a plasma generator small enough to fit on a CubeSat – roughly 10 centimetres cubed. Then there’s the problem of controlling exactly how the plasma will disperse once it is released.

Read the story at
    https://www.newscientist.com/articl...to-plasma-bomb-the-sky-using-tiny-satellites/

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2016/august/usaf-wants-to-improve-hf-communications.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EA2EKH

EA2EKH Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh my! I can only imagine the reaction of the conspiranoid tin foil guys obsessed with HAARP and "chemtrails".

Did the USAF hire Lex Luthor? ;)

KG4IKS, N4OQV, KK6FCV and 3 others like this.
  3. N3WJL

N3WJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Can they use it to make it rain and control the weather? Will it block my orbital mind control laser? Do they know something about the sun we don't? hmm.. this was a pretty bad solar cycle maybe the sun is dying! We're all DOOMED! DOOMED I say!

Dr. No

KG4IKS, KM4UJP, KK6FCV and 2 others like this.
  4. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

What the heck do you need satellites for, this is an election year................

AC0OB, KD5IL and KD4JPF like this.
  5. M0HXA

M0HXA Ham Member QRZ Page

T
    He sun has been dying since the day it was born like everything else. Don't think it's going to go out just yet.

KD4JPF and KK6FCV like this.
  6. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Had to check the date thought i had overslept and it was the first of April

WB5PDZ, AJ4EM and WD8ED like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a viable concept but the impact will be localized and transient, a new form of sporadic E, but mostly in the F layer. Continuity will require many, many cube sats.

8. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

To quote my most favorite cartoon character (Glum from Gulliver's Travels):

"It'll never work ... we're doomed!"

VE7PDX likes this.
  9. K8NS

K8NS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this from the cover story of a Popular Science mag from 1958? Of course this experiment will take place over Roswell NM.

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What unintended consequences? We thought of everything!

N8DBO, W5KUL and AJ4EM like this.
  11. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is real. It's concentrated and spewed into the air we breathe, from jet airplanes each and every day!

Protect yourself with knowledge. http://www.dhmo.org

KF7PCL, VE7JBX and KC9UDX like this.
  12. KS6N

KS6N Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than the author having minimal knowledge to explain the actual process and a couple zingers in there, It doesn't sound that far fetched to make strategically localized events for wartime. It's like blowing up the enemy's satellites, but when the war is over, they still work :D

13. K8AG

K8AG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No worries. Both of our Presidential candidates have plans to leave the planet before anything happens to them. :p

14. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

They could start by training their Airmen how to properly use the existing network...

WB5YUZ and KC9UDX like this.
  15. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Would that plasma be encrypted, or could we all use it for dog-Xray and WinLink?

NL7W likes this.