Upgrade

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N0FQY, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N0FQY

N0FQY Guest

Went to my 1st 'fest this past Saturday since the 80's. Got upgraded to General!!! Yeah, baby!!! Got a Kenwood 130 from ebay...my first HF station. Can't WAIT to get it on the air!!! Been licensed since the 80's and have NEVER had and HF station! :)

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member

Let me be the first to say CONGRATS!

Now...what TOOK ya so long??:p

HF is fun and I am sure you will enjoy it.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

Let's hear you with the new rig. Congrats, and I hope the rig works!

eBay stories are so wonderful...

4. N7SMI

N7SMI Ham Member

Congrats! As one who recently upgraded to Extra, I'd recommend making that move relatively soon. I think it's useful (for your own good and for passing the test) to get some HF experience in first, but don't wait too long to move to Extra because there's a lot of overlap in the test content that you'll have to relearn if you wait too long.

5. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member

Congrats. I agree with the idea that you should keep the momentum going -- try to get your Extra now. You're on a roll.

And welcome to HF. You picked a great time to join in, as we head toward the peak of the current solar cycle over the next year or so (hopefully). Ten meters in particular has been awesome lately.

73 de Phil WW2E

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member

You know that since you were licensed as a tech prior to 1987, that you qualified for an immediate upgrade to general since April 15, 2000. No test required, just fill out the papers.

You seem really excited about the upgrade, and all, so I figured you may not have known that.

Joe

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber

Congrats, I have a TS130 and really like that rig!

8. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber

Congratulations!! :) it's a great feeling isn't it? Hope you get on the air soon and start working on WAS.

9. N0FQY

N0FQY Guest

Thanks for the congrats, guys...sri it took so long to get back here. :)

I've never had the $'s or opportunity to do any hamming. Finally GOT that opportunity last month and I'm getting back in to it. :)

I *did* know about the General upgrade for "old" techs, so that's why I did it. :) Looking forward to getting on HF after I move next month. Just need some kind of antenna and a tuner...checking eBay for the tuner. :)

Again, thanks for the congrats, guys! Hope to be able to work some of you on the bands!!

Rick
    N0FQY/AG :)

10. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member

Hi Rick,

Congratulations! Keep the momentum going and above all: have fun!

73, Jim N3AWS

11. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member

I did that back in '09. And for the heck of it (since it cost nothing extra) I borrowed a pencil and went ahead and did the Extra test. Without doing any studying it was a bit of a challenge but I passed it.

Congrats! Hope you enjoy the '130, should be a good rig to start with.

12. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber

Congratulations!

Wow - radio conditions are pretty good, even though the SFI dropped precipitously today. I've worked over 100 in the DX contest this weekend - with a vertical, a dipole and 100 watts, and I've really only been on a few hours.

Get that 130 up on the higher bands. 15 is spectacular right now. For an HF beginner, 40 meters in the daytime is a great place to start, as is 17 meters. I'd avoid the places where the 'big boys' play for a while. It's too easy to step on hyper-sensitive toes on 20 and 75 meter phone.

13. N0FQY

N0FQY Guest

Just to let y'all know, got my 1st HF station set up a couple days ago. LOVING it! :) Have NEVER had an HF station before. Need to keep it going! :) Bought the Advanced upgrade guide and am going to be plugging away at it! :)

14. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber

I hope you meant Extra Upgrade Guide - The Advanced license is no longer issued, just Tech, General and Extra.

15. N0FQY

N0FQY Guest

Yes, I meant the Extra upgrade guide. :)

16. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber

Congrats :) just don't wait as long to get your Extra. I'm a General as well, and I want to have my upgrade by Field Day :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.