Update on my fried MFJ 4245MV Power Supply

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE5DX, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It came home yesterday, what, maybe a week and a half, and it's back.. kewl!

I take it out the the shack, open the box, set it on the bench, plug it in. I turn it on, nothing. Dead, DOA.

I smack it, it lights up. Smack it again, lights up again.

I begrudgingly open it up and poke around. Apparently the pcb needs to be solidly secured (grounded) to the chassis. There was a missing screw keeping this from happening. I dig up a spare, fix it, tie up a few other loose ends (front fan was dangling by a zip tie) and button it up. It was not an exchange, it was the very same one I had, there's the resistor I replaced. No big deal, I didn't need a new one.

I have a 12V spotlight, 750,000 candlepower. I plugged it in, started the PS and let it run that light for 15 minutes. So far so good, so it's back in service.

Y'all keep your fingers crossed while I shop for an Astron.

From now on I think I'll stick to passive stuff, tuners, cable and antennas. I hate this, I'm from MS and I sure would like to say good things about this company, but I'm compelled to share product information, even if it's bad, especially if it's bad. Mr. J, Please, this is not good.

2. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

So it's a good news/bad news thins. Well I'm happy you have it back and working, notwithstanding the shoddy workmanship. Interesting that even MFJ's warranty repairs are of the infamous "semi-kit" variety.

3. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

If this thing has no overvolt/current protection i would stop using it and get one that does.

4. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like this kind of problem is par for the course for MFJ. I received an MFJ antenna analyzer two years ago where the wire leading to the SO-239 on the top of the case wasn't soldered to anything.

5. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ Mighty Fine Junk

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cheap insurance. :)

9. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thats terrific. That's the very first time I heard that.

Today.

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, always a rush to spit out a cliché like we never heard it before. But cut him some slack, I never heard a group of northerners talk where it wasn't a cliché festival and "whatnot".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.