ad: Waters-2

Update on my fried MFJ 4245MV Power Supply

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AE5DX, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
  1. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It came home yesterday, what, maybe a week and a half, and it's back.. kewl!

I take it out the the shack, open the box, set it on the bench, plug it in. I turn it on, nothing. Dead, DOA.

I smack it, it lights up. Smack it again, lights up again.

I begrudgingly open it up and poke around. Apparently the pcb needs to be solidly secured (grounded) to the chassis. There was a missing screw keeping this from happening. I dig up a spare, fix it, tie up a few other loose ends (front fan was dangling by a zip tie) and button it up. It was not an exchange, it was the very same one I had, there's the resistor I replaced. No big deal, I didn't need a new one.

I have a 12V spotlight, 750,000 candlepower. I plugged it in, started the PS and let it run that light for 15 minutes. So far so good, so it's back in service.

Y'all keep your fingers crossed while I shop for an Astron.

From now on I think I'll stick to passive stuff, tuners, cable and antennas. I hate this, I'm from MS and I sure would like to say good things about this company, but I'm compelled to share product information, even if it's bad, especially if it's bad. Mr. J, Please, this is not good.
  2. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

So it's a good news/bad news thins. Well I'm happy you have it back and working, notwithstanding the shoddy workmanship. Interesting that even MFJ's warranty repairs are of the infamous "semi-kit" variety.
  3. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

If this thing has no overvolt/current protection i would stop using it and get one that does.
  4. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like this kind of problem is par for the course for MFJ. I received an MFJ antenna analyzer two years ago where the wire leading to the SO-239 on the top of the case wasn't soldered to anything.
  5. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ Mighty Fine Junk
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. AE5DX

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cheap insurance. :)
  9. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thats terrific. That's the very first time I heard that.

10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, always a rush to spit out a cliché like we never heard it before. But cut him some slack, I never heard a group of northerners talk where it wasn't a cliché festival and "whatnot".
  11. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Once you have been in the hobby a little longer and have bought a few more MFJ products and then bought some quality equipment the difference will become obvious quickly. Most notably when you open an item up and see how it's constructed inside where it really counts. Just for an example amplifiers fact #1 Amertron are cheap! Yes they are open up a ALS-600/1300 and then a Yaesu VL-1000 or IC-PW1 and look at the quality of components and workmanship night and day. Next try a AL-1500 and compare it to any Alpha amp manual or if you desire even an Auto-Tuned tube type amp the Alpha 9500 or older 87A. To see is to believe again I could go down the line for sure.

One excellent idea you have is to look for an Astron power supply the larger the better I use 2 Astron's a VS and RS-70M's to supply the shack. If you need a cheaper switching supply a QST best buy and one I have used for the last 6 yrs are the Samlex 1223/1235M 23/35 amp supplies no RF and reasonable cost $99 for the 1223. Remember many of these items are expected to last you for many years in the shack like power supplies and antenna tuners buy quality if you can.

When I first started out I had a lot of MFJ items some worked some did not even out of the box. Now only 6 short years later I have learned my lesson as of 4 years ago the only piece of MFJ gear that remained was a MFJ-269 HF/VHF/UHF SWR Analyzer. Next week it will be be replaced by an Array Solutions Unit and it will be sold because of erratic readings, BTW this one was replaced 2 mo ago because the old one stopped working at 23 mo of purchase.

Some people claim to have great luck with MFJ/Amertron and all the companies they have bought out but mine have been less than stellar YMMV.
  12. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Commas. Use them. Your posts would be a whole lot easier to read.
  13. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

They've been that way for over 25 years. Why change now?
  14. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't be too hard on MFJ - they offer a huge array of products that usually work as advertised, but yes, their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. I also had the problem with the unsoldered connector on the SWR analyzer - and it wasn't all that easy to fix for some reason. But once I fixed it, the unit works great. I had another analyzer that was shipped with the tuning control loose. Fortunately I didn't break anything before I figured that out. I've had good luck with their antenna tuners and quite a few other things.
  15. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

My 4245 hasn't been returned yet and MFJ has not contacted me regarding it. I plan to call MFJ in the morning to get an update.
  16. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe they used parts from yours to fix his?
  17. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

That would not suprise me. If they need any parts from an overdriven Yaesu FT8500 I can hook them up. :(
  18. KB9TQN

KB9TQN Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a reason for the liberal warranty policy. Of course shipping a heavy item still takes the money out of your pocket. Along with paying shipping back to you after the repair. So I guess it's really better to go with a more expensive and reliable manufacturer as insurance.
  19. AE5DX

I received a work order in the mail the day before. When the PS arrived the work done was attached to the box. In my case, they replace a zener and a resistor. The one I replaced was still there. Hope you get yours back asap :)
  20. W6LAR

W6LAR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For the past two years our club, Jerry L. Pettis Veterans Hospital Amateur radio Club, has been building our club station at the hospital. One of our purchases was an Ameritron ALS-600 with the switching power supply. When it works it works well but we had to send it back now for the fourth time. The first three times they fixed the Amp and did not ask us to send the power supply. This last time I got a chance to check the power supply before sending it back and found the 12Vdc control voltage missing. So we sent them both back this time. We are still waiting for their return. We are out of warrantee but they did agree to fix it without charge. But yes, we still had to pay shipping it.

When looking over the power supply and the amp I found the construction to look very good. Soldering appeared to be neatly done and wires dressed properly. Let us hope they get it right this time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.