Unsure of Mode at 14.090

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N6UGJ, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6UGJ

N6UGJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all of you for what is clearly a concensus. I have no way to record this inrterference as of now, but it is digital in nature and not just a carrier or chirping. But as some of you indicated, I may be able to hear interference from as far as a mile or more away, and with all the digital devices on the market, it is likely just that. I originally had my doubts as there appeared to be some intelligence to the signal. I now believe most all of you are right and will just move on.

Thanks again for each of your ideas and tips. Learned a little something in the process.
    Gary

2. N1DE

N1DE Ham Member QRZ Page

DM780 has the ability to record. You could record a clip and post it here.

3. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Reading this post I got very curious. I have been battling RFI on the radio for quite some time. Every 60 Hz across the 20m band. I unplugged my Netgear wireless router and the interference is gone. So now that I know what is causing it, how do I get rid of it?

Max
    VE3TMT

4. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Shielded Ethernet cables cables can help. Ferrites don't do much in my experience. Configuring everything on the LAN to run at 10 Mbps makes it stop. Some equipment seems to generate more RFI than others, so replacing the offending routers, hubs and NICs may help.

I haven't been successful in getting rid of it. I'll be moving my one HF antenna that is mounted on the house further away soon. That should reduce the received strength. The extreme fix is to go completely to fiber optics for the physical layer, but that is not cheap.

Mostly I work around it. If there is needed DX spotted on one of the QRM'd frequencies, I'll shut the LAN down. But then I get lots of QRM from the XYL and kids. And I still hear similar signals from around the neighborhood even with my LAN shut down.

One thing this proves is that wired LANs are not immune from remote eavesdropping.

5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you could be hearing the latest new gee whiz digital mode. Last month it was ROS, and this might be the one called CMSK ? I think. The problem they have with this one is that they can't decode each others signals,one can hear and decode, and the other can't. Hang around and there'll be another along in a months time !

G0GQK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.