un-returned QSLs

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by W3ATS, Apr 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3ATS

W3ATS Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps a place where we can list stations that don't return their QSL cards after you send them money. I know that I have sent out a lot more cards (and money) than I have received. (I call them "Deadbeat QSL'ers). If enough people list these offenders, perhaps they will be shamed into returning our cards!

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I know the feeling, but are you talking about stateside stations? Stations that ask for and/or accept direct requests? Stations that are in countries with reliable and/or honest mail service? Are you sending them out registered with AR?

Shaming sounds 'great' in theory, but it's a different story in practice. Even if the other party is truly dishonest, all he needs to do is to answer some of them to protect himself. That would be the registered ones.

I gave up direct QSLing decades ago. And even then, it was only for the most wanted card. Depending on what you need the confirmation for, there are other QSO confirmation methods.

If you are into paper QSL collecting, times have changed. Paper QSLs are not as popular as they once were.

3. KL1T

KL1T Ham Member QRZ Page

How long is too long? I just received a card in the mail today, from South America, that I sent out January 15th. Thats three months, but it arrived. I've only been sending paper cards for four months, but I have about a 70% success rate so far. Not bad for international mail and many of those missing have only been out 3-5 weeks.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another "how long is too long"? I received a straggling card for my K1T project, well after the published cutoff on my W7UUU/K1T page. I moved houses in November and maybe by this spring I'll be where I can find the template for the printed QSL cards for the event again and can send one off. It's just not practical to "drop everything to hunt down the template and print a single card" in a heartbeat.

I don't think that makes me a deadbeat - the card will get sent but on my terms, since the request was mailed long after my published cutoff.

Dave
    W7UUU

KL1T likes this.
  5. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sending money for a QSL card?

Sounds like a sure route to disappointment. There have been certain "hams" in the past that seemed to make extra cash for QSL's. I put ham in quotation mark because in my opinion, someone who requests cash of QSL's on a regular basis is not on the level.

Yes, there are some circumstances that dictate a cash for QSL situation. Most notably these DXpeditions to lonely rocks/islands in some rotten sea. Or, maybe a ham with direct mail problems. Sure there are some situations where a "contribution" in in order.

But they are the exception, not the rule. I have never sent anything more than the occasional SASE to a QSL manager. I used to do that more often when I was new to DX and the hobby (service). Now I really do not care if QSLs come or not. I will return those that were sent to me but have not requested a card in decades...

Funny thing though, I am now getting QSL's from folks who are on FT8. Seems strange since these are digital QSO's and usually are QSL'ed via LOTW or some other electronic QSL method. Holy Cow! I even got a card recently from a JA station with a IRC in it! I don't think my local post office even knows what those are! (International Reply Coupon) a pre-paid return mail method for countries that do not have access to any other method. Used to be pretty common, but I have not seen one of those in decades!

Cool looking thing too, with a Japanese flag and a hologram on it. I see also that they are now called a UPU. Apparently that stands for Union Postale Universelle. (The French are all over this postal stuff I guess!)

I plan to keep this thing and just pay my post office for air mail to JA. I have to decipher his request. He is looking for a grid square I think. but he used the abbreviation (WWLOC). gotta look that one up. I have a hard time believing that Tacoma Washington is a rare contact in anyone's log book but what do I know? Not enough apparently! CN-87 is not a rare place... Darnit!

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to be the kooky guy I am, when I embarked on W.A.S. via JT65 a couple years ago, I made a point to "paper QSL" 100% of the contacts just cuz of the fun silliness of the fact :)

Of course, for my Triple Play, I also uploaded to LoTW - got my Triple Play #1,741 on January 12, 2016 (W.A.S. on CW, Phone, and Digital).

But I still have all the cards from my JT65 W.A.S. via paper :)

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KL1T

KL1T Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm doing the same with FT8. I'm aiming for one from each US state, Canadian Provence, and one from each of the 7 continents.

I have FT8 WAS via LOTW, but I only use online as a courtesy to others. I have no interest in 3rd party confirmation or awards.

8. W3ATS

W3ATS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello guys, this post was actually from my uncle Bill Wa3llf I was using his station on Easter and forgot to sign out of qrz.com on his computer Hi Hi so he posted here under my callsign. I fowarded your reply's to him. Thanks for your insight!
    -Tom W3ATS

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I occasionally go back thru the log looking for ones that I sent $$$ to over a year old with no reply. I sometimes send an email inquiring about it. Often that makes one appear. Some they say they never received my card or say they sent theirs already. Some offer to send again others want you to send $$$ again. :eek:
    Its a very mixed bag. All of the major QSL managers are 99.99% reliable.