uk still has code test to get a ham licence

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G3ZHI, May 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. 2E0FJT

2E0FJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I can tell you I worked hard to get my m6 license and so did my wife who has never been on radio before she took it . And we have now just passed the 2e0 course as well so I guess they gave us that as well from m6zab awaits his 2e0 call sign . You stick to the old ways the hobby soon fades away no new comers come into it then things die so move on it's just a hobby not a way of life

2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Where does it state that applicants for an Amateur radio license in the UK must demonstrate the ability to send Morse code by hand and receive correctly by ear? I did some searching and found this.

And this.

The written test in the UK quite likely still has questions on CW operations, as I assume do all the tests in the countries listed above, but that's not a requirement to know Morse code by hand and ear.

3. G3ZHI

G3ZHI Ham Member QRZ Page

its in the foundation licence syllabubs

under section 10a.1
    page 2.68

the point being made is why is it still included by rsgb in the uk when itu say its optional
    its makes us look backwards

4. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

You are looking at it the wrong way. It is an exercise to familiarise the candidates with CW, just like them getting familiarised with using a microphone and ham procedures. In other words, it isn't part of a license requirement, it is part of preparation for going on the air, they are shown what morse code is, they may be told about its advantages for weak signal work, and later when they have a license they may go further and learn the code if they so wish. I think it is a great idea, even though I never use code myself!

SP5CKI and W1BR like this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If that were true, what would be the point?

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What would be the point of what? Doing amateur radio or morse? Fun comes to mind. Not a lot of modern day RO's becoming hams. But back in the 80's lots of hams were RO's in industry. There is a reason why that is. Can you figure it out?

7. WD4IGX

My question was specifically about your last bit, "Technology has made radio operators irrelevant."

So what's the point of being one? Is it fun to be "irrelevant?"

Congratulations to Captain Dunsel then, I guess.

8. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether fun is relevant to anything is irrelevant. I don't think otters enjoying a mudslide are honing their grasp of Newtonian physics.

Not to worry: We're only a post or three away from triggering the playing of the overworn "service, not a hobby" tape. So repeat the antidote after me: "African or European?"

9. WD4IGX

I guess I took "irrelevant" to be more general - as irrelevant to EVERYTHING, not just to industry or whatever - like irrelevant as in "who cares?" and "no fun."

10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, we are irrelevant in the scheme of things. I do a bit of CW, that makes me an oddity within the wider community. I do home brew radio also, that makes me somewhat of an oddity within the greater ham community also. I do not do radio because it is relevant in industry or society at large, I do radio because i enjoy it, because it challenges the grey matter etc, not because it makes me important. And when you look at the signal corps of say Vietnam era and compare it to today, its chalk and cheese, one was a radio engineer and the other a computer engineer. The same goes with shipping. You do not need great skill to operate a satellite phone. And back to the question i posited to you a couple of posts back. Why are the RO's of today not taking up ham radio like the RO's of yesteryear? If you can figure that one out, you will understand why i think morse and radio operators are irrelevant to just about everyone other than a small group of hobbyists who like to think highly of themselves.