Ubuntu Pt 2

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KC9ECI, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got it up and running on my old HP machine that origianlly had XP for an OS. I like it. It seems to be a better fit than Freesprire, but, and this is the only issue I have so far...it doesn't seem to know what to do with the DWL-122 wireless USB network connection. So, until I can either figure out what wireless card it will work with, or find the right driver for what I've got, it will be back to the old Linux standby of Freesprire.

2. AE6QE

AE6QE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I found the wireless card detection to be a significant problem a couple of years ago, when I tried to switch over to Linux. Odds are, it your wireless adapter works under Freespire, it just needs a driver download under Ubuntu.

Tangent alert [​IMG]

I've been one of those people that is hot and cold about Linux. With the advent of Vista, I know that my journey with Microsoft will stop with XP. I will probably get the wife and kids on Macs, and finally switch to Linux for myself. Believe it or not, the hardest software I have installed on my most current installation (OpenSuse 10.2) was Xastir, since I could not find a working RPM and all the dependencies had to be downloaded and installed. To this day, I still have not figured out how to get the online maps to work on it, even after having all the optional dependencies installed. So, I am torn to continue troubleshooting it, or the daunting task of attempting an install of Precision Mapping and UIView32 under Wine.

Good luck with your wireless adapter!

Rickey/AE6QE

3. N6YG

N6YG Ham Member QRZ Page

If I remember correctly The DWL-122 is a prism2 USB adapter. This adapter is known to have issues and sometimes needs to be coaxed into working.

To solve your problem
    First I need to know what Version of Ubuntu are you using?
    Then we need to see if the system sees your adapter
    To do this open a terminal windows and type iwconfig hit enter and post back the results. (make sure the adapter is plugged in [​IMG] )

4. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

PYF-

I'll take you up on the offer, but it will have to wait until Tuesday. I've got to go to work shortly, and after work, I've got training at the FD, followed by an officers meeting, followed by the regular monthly business meeting, followed by paperwork, paperwork, paperwork....blah! I hate the first Monday of the month.

5. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

You have "iWconfig" - do you mean "iPconfig"? - this may make a BIG difference.

6. N6YG

N6YG Ham Member QRZ Page

No I meant iwconfig. I want to make sure the system sees his adapter as a 802.XX device

7. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

OK - thought it may have been a typo that got overlooked...

73 [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.