U.S. Congress: HR 4969--extending PRB-1 to private CC&Rs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA7DU, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bryan, I hear there's some good fishing in your neck of the woods. Mabey we can tangle our lines in the lakes up there sometime.:)

Anyways let's get back to our disagreement with one another. :p

I think the HOA's regard antennas as antennas, and while it's true 160 meter wires are larger than ones used for bands like 20m, I don't see why antennas like trapped dipoles or magnetic loops couldn't be utilized to save space and to reduce the visual impact on the HOA environment.

It shouldn't really matter to the HOA if it's a TV antenna or if it's a 160m magloop really.

Another thought is this could create a new antenna market.for HOA friendly antennas.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

If I relied on fishing, I'd starve.

A good antenna for even 80m is large and not low to the ground. VHF-up antennas low to the ground also suck. I doubt an HOA board would approve a variance for either. If not, there are still alternatives that include:
    • mobile or portable operation. In the past, I've had a blast working mobile HF and VHF.
    • remote base operation. I understand there are many hams who provide this.
    • operate at a club station
    • move
    I don't advocate having the feds step in to nullify a private contract. First, I don't see that as fair to the other signers of the contract and second, if the feds approve it, you have to ask yourself, "What's next?" A ham (and others) in a HOA could wind-up having to accept something they don't like. If a bill like HR4969 should be considered, it should be written better, using more specific language. It should also not rely on out-of-date facts about ham radio.

3. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Good information!!!

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Or maybe not so much.
    Yeah, I get that but whether or not one can have amateur radio antennas for a hobby pales big time in comparison to all those issues. It is not on equal footing by any means.

Yes, it is all about making choices in life. Weigh out the options, decide what is important, then make a choice...or of course you can also just throw it out there in total reckless abandon like some people do.

Just a part of being that age really. Living conditions are more up to your parents than anything else. Some parents wouldn't let a kid put up any outdoor antennas regardless of where they lived. I wouldn't characterize an area of town that has no restrictions as "seedy".
    It is a wonderful sweeping generalization that supports you position but it is also incorrect.

As far as OTARD goes, the broadcast industry has tremendously deep pockets and it is all about gaining or not losing listenership. That is where the big money is. They push the issue as a public safety concern. I seriously doubt that it is their big concern but that is what they present to support their position and anything in the name of public safety is hard to argue against so it floats well.

I wish HR-4969 good luck but I don't expect it to go very far.
    Best wishes from the "seedy" part of town...with a tower and ugly big ol' quad.:p

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  5. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I guess I was confused by the question mark tagged to the end of yoir last sentence. Silly me

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

good information....

7. KU0O

KU0O Ham Member QRZ Page

If it works for them it can work for us!

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

...except, even though there was a pecuniary interest by direct broadcast providers, the FCC pushed OTARD because of their concern about public safety.

The difference is, MOST hams do little (if any) public service work. Ever. IME, the ARRL wants it to go thru so they can sell more ads for equipment (the same reason for making a ham ticket easier to obtain). Individual hams want to buy that equipment so they can talk to their buddies and work DX and contests. The reasons for supporting HR4969 are hardly altruistic.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The reasons for politicians to support "anything" is rarely altruistic. I think it's mostly about getting re-elected.

And our current Congress is mired so deeply in doing nothing, I'd be impressed it they actually accomplish anything this quarter, other than 3-martini lunches and debating issues of no concern to anyone.:p

10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends on what you are fishing for. Eastern Wa lakes are better than western Wa. lakes especially for trout fishing. Limits are pretty small these days.
    Western WA rivers are better for Steelheading and Salmon fishing and not much else. Limits are just 2 or 3 of either. We are literally BURIED in regulations,
    especially for rivers.
    Lakes anywhere near a population center get fished out pretty fast after opening day.
    Then there is the (in)famous Judge Boldt decision back in 1974. I was fishing a LOT both before and after. You wouldn't believe the difference.:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.