U.S. Congress: HR 4969--extending PRB-1 to private CC&Rs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA7DU, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are allowed to plant trees, some 18+ ft palms could support all kinds of more or less hidden wire antennas.

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there any reason why we can't install reasonable antennas, like OTARD is already allowed to do?

3. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Other than CCRs and HOA/COA rules? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. KC8VWM

Not following...

My point is HOA's already have to accomodate the installation of outdoor antennas anyways.

What difference does it make to HOA's if the antenna is an OTARD TV antenna on the roof, or if it's a 2m ham radio yagi antenna on the roof?

Both antennas are almost identical in appearance anyways so why should HOA's even care if it's a ham radio or a tv antenna?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Point is, when those trees get big, they'll be able to fall over onto the neighbor;s property. If the property is 30 feet wide, will the tree have to be cut down when it reaches 15 feet because it could fall onto the neighbor's yard?

IOW, the "it might fall over" thing isn't valid.

That's what the HR is all about: reasonable accomodation.

The problem that's being addressed is the mindset of NO ANTENNAS NO MATTER WHAT NO WAY NO HOW NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

You wouid have to bring that up with the HOA. Silly question to put here.

7. KC8VWM

It's not a question, it's a talking point.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

• "reasonable" ham antennas haven't been defined in HR4969. What is reasonable to one person is not reasonable to another.
    • OTARD allows satellite and terrestrial TV antennas, for public safety for potentially 330 million users. You want antenna(s) allowed for no more than 750K users who mostly don't do ANY public safety work.

See above. Also, a satellite antenna would be pointed well above the horizon, and can be mounted close to earth w/o any deleterious effect. TV broadcasters typically run hundreds of kilowatts (ERP) of power, making a small yagi (short wavelength) at low AGL height effective.

OTOH, hams have bands from 160m to well into the VHF-UHF spectrum and 1500W maximum. To be effective, antennas for those bands need to be larger (160m) and/or higher (VHF-up). A loop or vertical a few feet above ground on HF or a ground plane on VHF-up below the trees and houses blows.

9. NI7I

NI7I Guest

In which case, it would be a talking point to bring up with the HOA. Unless, of course, you are trolling.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Now Lee, let's not bring fishing into the discussion.
    Oh, wait... different kind of trolling! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.