U.S. Congress: HR 4969--extending PRB-1 to private CC&Rs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA7DU, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

HR 4969 has been introduced in the House with bipartisan sponsorship. If passed by both the House and Senate, and signed by the President, the FCC would extend the "reasonable accommodation" provisions of PRB-1 to homeowner's association rules and private deed restrictions on amateur radio antennas.

Call your U.S. legislators to build support for the bill.

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A snowball's chance . . . , but for those who are interested . . .

Link

3. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Impressive in its own way that it could even be introduced, given the great burden that already rests upon them. They have to produce all those resolutions honoring the Podunk Asphalt Festival, Okra Week, and the housecats of Pennsyltucky. And, oh yeah, the budget.

4. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

My letter to our Congressman and both Senators will go out next week.

CC&Rs are the biggest obstacle to many getting licensed and on the air. We need some relief since in many parts of the country it is practically impossible to find housing without onerous antenna restrictions, ranging from absolute bans to height limits that are absurdly and impractically low.

5. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

E-mail sent to my Representative...

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Introduced, but doesn't seem to be a published text yet:

"As of 06/27/2014 text has not been received for H.R.4969 - To direct the Federal Communications Commission to extend to private land use restrictions its rule relating to reasonable accommodation of amateur service communications.

"Bills are generally sent to the Library of Congress from GPO, the Government Printing Office, a day or two after they are introduced on the floor of the House or Senate. Delays can occur when there are a large number of bills to prepare or when a very large bill has to be printed."

Congress can't seem to get out of its own way, so I imagine this will have top priority.:rolleyes:

7. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Wishful thinking in my opinion.
    I think that the HOAs that people signed into under agreement would countersue the government for attempting to control what they do on their own properties.
    Some people do like the idea of the HOAs regulating things for them.
    But with the inaction of the worst congress in history as far as I know I doubt it will go anywhere anyway.

8. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

The Congress has acted on a plethora of measures but the Senate doesn't dare vote on them. If they do, they have to vote to approve, which angers their supporters and if they vote to not approve, it shows them to be mean-spirited communists, which won't look good in the next election. They are mean-spirited communists of course, but they hope nobody will find out.

There is no counter suit. Congress interferes with the use of property whenever it pleases to do so. Think back to the CC&Rs which used to be common banning occupancy or ownership by Negroes or Jews. Those sacred private contracts were nullified decades ago.

CC&Rs cannot regulate every activity, otherwise lawful, that a person might chose to engage in. Moreover this problem has been exacerbated by the ubiquity of the antenna restrictions, which although disguised as rules to protect appearance, aesthetics, is mostly to line the pockets of cable TV operators and the local governments which franchise them and collect huge franchise fees from banning antennas. Developers have also been bribed to ban antennas by cable operators then wiring the development for cable for free.

They can't do this by zoning anymore, thanks to PRB-1, so they have also taken this route which has been more problematic, clothed as it is in the phony vestments of sacred private contracts.

9. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

10. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

This proposal, in order that it may pass and be signed into law, needs a name attached to it (i.e., "The Freedom of Antenna Placement Act of 2014", or maybe a cutesy sounding kid's name (i.e., "Jahomey's Law"). Such laws always pass because nobody wants to be thought of as being against whatever the name implies; a short time later, when the law is mentioned by name, nobody remembers the reason the law was passed (other than the cutesy name applied to it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.