TYT TH-9800 Repair

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KI6PTN, Dec 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI6PTN

KI6PTN Ham Member QRZ Page

Any radio tech out there willing to take a look at a TYT TH-9800?
    Left side does not transmit, and leftside receive sounds like this:

2. AC0TX

AC0TX Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to try to obtain a schematic and/or a service manual. Another possibility is to ask the vendor repair options...

3. KI6PTN

Since I posted this, I got a response from TYT in China. They said the'll repair it for free if I ship it to them. Shipping to them is at my cost, but they will pay to ship back. Seems like an interesting thing to try out. I've never shipped anything to China before. Seems like an OK proposition especially since the radio is basically a brick at this point.

KE4WDF and W4ZXE like this.
  4. VE1IC

VE1IC Ham Member QRZ Page

shipping to china is a killer and takes a very long time. Good luck!

5. WB5THT

WB5THT Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to send it International Priority Mail (unless you use DHL, etc) or it will not be tracked. I returned a defective rubidium oscillator to a Chinese eBay seller First Class and Registered Mail and of course the seller claims to have never received it. I declared a $200 value and after a fight I finally got a check for about $60 - max the post office will pay is $46 plus your postage. What a huge hassle.

6. KI6PTN

quick update:
    I just got the radio back from China today. They repaired it free of charge and it only cost about $35 shipping each way.
    I shipped it in the original box, but did not include any of the accessories. Besides repairing the radio, they completely refilling the box with all accessories, including a new handheld mic for the radio.
    I did ship it via DHL as that is what they requested. They sent me the tracking number and it arrived today.
    I've powered it on and I'm programming it this evening. overall, a good repair experience.

KE4WDF, W1TRY and K1JFJ like this.
  7. ZL2TLF

ZL2TLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Any chance of the contact information at TYT I two of these TH-9800's that don't TX on the 2 meter band and would like them repaired. You help would be much appreciated.

Dave ZL2TLF

8. KD9HWK

KD9HWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the link to the schematics and component locators. http://www.radioscanner.ru/files/misc/file19457/
    Mine is not xmitting on any band. Took the mother board out and on the back side lots of white powdery corrosion. Solder quality looks suspect at best. The L612 looks like the solder did not make it to the top of the circuit board which is where the trace to the antenna located. Will try to re-solder and see if this helps. Running Ohm meter test on the connection shows it is good but when in the VHF range there may be to much capacitance across a bad solder connection. The rig will transmit a short distance on 2m and 70cm to my HT on simplex. By a short distance I mean 100'. Power meter shows no output. I tried it on 6m and same power meter shows no output so I assume the problem is in the output stage.I replaced the Q319 70W MOSFET on a whim but no better- no worse.

9. KD9HWK

KD9HWK Ham Member QRZ Page

After further review it appears that the Q409 7 watt RD07mvs1B MOSFET is blown. Cost is ~$5 for replacement. With a close visual of this chip you can see the burnt spot. This FET is driven by the APC circuit and ultimately drives the high power Q319 70W FET. Will replace and update.

10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Congrats.... that is awesome and amazing. So much has been said about how cheap and disposable these radios are and the lack of support . Yet you have seemed to have received steller product support.
    Did they actually repair your same rig or maybe they just shipped out another new one ? It would seem a quick exchange by the way you got a new package of misc goodies in the box.
    How old was this radio and did they require proof of purchase or previous warranty registration? My radio lost audio to the internal speaker and must use an external speaker . The problem actually is in the output audio jack.:confused: Hmmm? Wonder if China trip is in store for my $100 ebay special?

K1JFJ likes this.