TYT TH-9000D Locked Up

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AD7BF, Feb 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Geoffrey, are your TYT radios still working okay after your fix?

de Jim

2. N5MRG

N5MRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Add two more TYT TH-9000 radios to go tits up. Same issue... display giberish and locked up.

Geoffrey appears to have a different issue going on. All of the failures I have had have never lost 5v to the cpu.

3. N5MRG

4. N5MRG

I finally received a response from TYT. They said they read this thread and watched the youtube video and their engineer says its a bad CMX138. The CMX138 is the voice scramble IC. LOL

I guess the terms "display scrambled" didn't translate well.

They want $28 for the part that will not fix the problem.

No more TYT products for me.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you / Did you have voice scramble turned on ?

6. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure ... per FCC rules which are quite clear, I think, on this issue ...

7. N5MRG

Add another failed TH-9000 to the list.
    Same issue.

Attached Files:

8. N5MRG

After many hours reverse engineering the TH-9000 I have come up with a repair.
    I have successfully repaired several and have enough components to repair three more.
    The repair is not for the faint hearted, requires a hot air rework station, keen eyes or microscope and a steady hand.

The problem is a design flaw where TYT used a dsp device that has an absolute max VCC rating of 4.5 volts.
    In the circuit they are powering it off if the 5 volt 7805 regulator on the main pcb. The CPU located on the display board has its own 5V regulator located on the display board. The problem is not the CPU.

I am interested in purchasing your dead TH-9000 to use as parts. They must be complete radios with no attempted repairs.

9. KF5ZQB

KF5ZQB Ham Member QRZ Page

N5MRG I have a TH-9000D that would like to ship to you if you still want them. It has the jumbled screen. I have no need for it and if you can fix it and use or do something with it. It is complete and has not been messed with. I will pay shipping.