TYT TH-9000D Locked Up

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AD7BF, Feb 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N5MRG

N5MRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty simple to remove the main board and flip it over. Q24 switches powwer to the 7808 8V reg which drives the 7805 5V reg.
    Unfortunately, I found jumping Q24 E to C does NOT solve the locked up, scrambled display issue.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. N5MRG

However, The problem does reside on the main pcb not the control head. I swapped front panels and it remained locked up/scrambled.

CPU has 5 volts from the 7805 fed thru the 3rd row on the ribbon.

Lack of documentation will make these radios junk. Other than this one issue they are rock solid performers even in repeater service.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen schematics for some radios.

The CPU is on the main board. It sounds like it is not communicating with the heads serial buss.

Maybe a blind reset all (F4) would work ?

4. F4FXL

F4FXL Ham Member QRZ Page

Don
    Don the CPU is behind the display.
    Some (I even think in this topic) mentionned the ribbon cable might cause the issue.

5. N5MRG

CPU is on the control head behind the display.

Ribbon cable is not the problem. I've swapped out the front control panel and cable with a good radio and the problem resides on the main pcb.

I havent found any blind reset combination.

Maybe keep emailing TYT until we get a response. contact@tyt888.com

I wont be buying any others.

6. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

Another one here with 5 volts to the control head pin 3 and still gibberish. I don't understand their reluctance to release the service info on the radio.

N5MRG likes this.
  7. N5MRG

TYT did respond and ask for a video of the problem. I sent them a link to this youtube.

Let's see what they have to say.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

After looking at the video, I would clean the flux off of the board with alcohol.

Use alcohol to clean the ribbon connections too.

It looks almost like the CPU is not running the firmware.

I would check the PROM, It is not centered properly on the board. Or maybe it is that way for programming and ICT.

upload_2018-2-8_5-46-48.png
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  9. N5MRG

The problem does not reside on the control panel nor the ribbon cable. I have verified this by swapping out front panels and ribbon cables with known good units. The problem always remains on the main pcb.

10. F4FXL

F4FXL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

My TYT is a survivor, I managed to kill it a second time and to bring it back to life. In the end it is the same issue, lack of 5V on the CPU. This time I blew a PCB trace...
    More details on my blog : https://www.f4fxl.org/oops-i-did-it-again/

F4FXL / KC3FRA

W1TRY likes this.