TYT TH-9000D Locked Up

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AD7BF, Feb 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD7BF

AD7BF Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

2. AD7BF

Sorry it took me so long to post pictures (been busy).

Eric AD7BF

3. AD7BF

Oops, missed one picture - back of head pcb, showing CPU.

Eric AD7BF

Attached Files:

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would clean that flux off of the board, It can cause problems when it absorbs moisture.

Alcohol and Q-tips work good.

5. AD7BF

That's one of the first things I did. I don't know what kind of flux they used but the white residue keeps coming back.

6. K5BFC

K5BFC Ham Member QRZ Page

Same unit and symptom here after a little over a year. I performed the same troubleshooting to no avail. I liked it well enough for the price while it worked, but it's not such a bargain now, is it. Off to the salvage bin it goes, and back to Kenwood and Yaesu for me.

7. AD7BF

I didn't know either Kenwood or Yaesu offered a 220MHz mobile radio currently. What are the model numbers? I'm very interested.

Thanks.

Eric AD7BF

8. K5BFC

K5BFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I misspoke just a little bit when I said "same unit," but I'll blame TYT. My TH-9000D was the 70cm flavor. Shame on them for using the exact same part number for three different radios. At the same time, it's interesting to notice that this failure mode occurs on multiple variants of the TH-9000D.

I probably should have just said more accurately that I expect to be avoiding TYT henceforth.

Having said that, while not actually "mobile" units, I do see:
    • Rumors here and here of an unnamed Kenwood tri-band 144/220/430 HT "coming soon"
    • A Yaesu HT called VX-8DR.
    My apologies for the confusion.

9. AD7BF

Well, I already have a Kenwood TH-F6 tri-band HT, which does cover the 220MHz band. It's a great little handheld but it's battery is about the size of a matchbook and, when operated at a scorching (highest) power level of five watts, the battery doesn't last long and the radio quickly gets warmer than can be comfortably held onto. Five watts can hardly compare with 50 watts from the TYT mobile rig when it comes to being heard over many miles. I really like that little HT but comparing to a mobile rig is apples to oranges. I looked up the Yaesu VX-8DR. It's also an HT and, for some odd reason, is only 0.5 watt output on the 220 MHz band - again, apples to oranges.

I've been hoping that the sales volume of the junk Chinese 220MHz radios might inspire one of "the big three" in Japan to jump into the fray with a 220MHz mobile offering but, to my knowledge, that hasn't happened yet. I'd happily pay an Icom price for an Icom quality 220MHz mobile rig if they ever come out with one (in fact, I'd probably buy at least a couple of them).

Eric AD7BF

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]