TYT TH-9000D Locked Up

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AD7BF, Feb 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AD7BF

AD7BF Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sorry to hear you encountered the same problem and no solution. I had considered the Alinco but the reviews were so poor in comparison to the TYT that I decided to go with it instead (I liked the higher output power of the TYT too). My new TYT arrived today. Hopefully it will last. I sure wish Icom or Yaesu built something comparable. I wouldn't mind paying more for a reliable radio. Unfortunately, when it comes to the 220MHz band, ones choices are really limited.

Eric AD7BF

KA9JLM likes this.
  2. K2SOG

K2SOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Return that TYT and try this

http://www.bridgecomsystems.com/collections/mobile-radios/products/bcm-220-mhz-mobile-radio

KC9UDX likes this.
  3. AD7BF

Looks like that radio isn't even available yet so it's not much of a solution at this point. Thanks for letting me know about it though. I may look into getting one of those when/if my new TYT goes TU (and after the Bridgecom has been out awhile and has established itself as a decent reliable rig).

Eric AD7BF

4. KE6EEX

KE6EEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your reply. The Alinco is in service for now. I will watch for news and reviews when the Bridgecom starts shipping.

Bruce ke6eex

5. K2SOG

K2SOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Email response received yesterday from BridgeCom:

Yes, the pre-orders started shipping today. You are welcome to place your order anytime and we will ship you one as we have inventory available. We are expecting a larger shipment in April. Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
    Tim
    Tim King, KE0GWR BridgeCom Systems, Inc Vice President Sales and Marketing 102 MO 92 Hwy, Ste C Smithville, MO 64089 816-532-8

6. KK4OWL

KK4OWL Ham Member QRZ Page

Aye mine did the same thing. We found that the flat ribbon cable between the main board and display had a short. In process of ordering a replacement.

KC9UDX likes this.
  7. AD7BF

Interesting! The ribbon cable in mine looked like it had a kink on one edge just about in the middle of the cable and I thought there might be a broken conductor but it seemed to ring out OK. Maybe I'll take another look at that. It would be really sweet if that's all there is to fixing it.

Please keep us posted as to the results of your repair when you get the new cable installed.

Eric AD7BF

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The connectors on them can be a big problem. The alignment can be very critical, if it is off they can short out. I use alcohol to clean the connectors.

Good luck. Can you post pictures ? I would like to have a look see. At the CPU too.

9. IZ3ZVO

IZ3ZVO Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It may or may not help, but remove the main battery, and short the external power connector. Then WAIT at least a few hours, to allow any capacitor(s) to discharge. If there IS an internal battery, carefully remove it if possible. If you CAN easily remove the memory battery, do so, and then short the battery connections. Then wait another hour or two. replace the memory battery, taking care to observe proper polarity. Reinstall the main battery, and power up. If your radio has a "hidden" reset switch, to force a hard reset, try that. You will lose any programming, but you apparently already have that backed u, so that shouldn't be a problem.