ad: k1jek

TYT TH-9000D Locked Up

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AD7BF, Feb 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The RJ-45 data connection on the front may have a way to get into it.

Does the mic work at all ? Is the power button light up, or is it off/not lit ?

Good Luck. All hope is not gone, Yet. See what CPU it uses.

2. AD7BF

AD7BF Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything is lit up. Microphone controls do nothing. Mic key does nothing.

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very likely the CPU is locked up and could be reset. Either totally remove power from it (possible battery, capacitor, etc) or find a reset signal you can trigger.

4. AD7BF

Removing power for a couple of days hasn't done the trick so I think the radio is just for parts now. I did take a look inside and didn't see any obvious problems, although the ribbon that connects the display head pcb to the main pcb looked a little suspicious, but seemed to ring out OK. I didn't see anything on the main board that looked to me like a likely CPU chip but there is a package on the head PCB that looks like it might be. My aged eyes need a magnifying glass just to see that there are individual leads on the package, it's so darn small.

I ordered another TH9000D to replace this one. Hopefully this is just an oddball occurrence and the new one will last longer than a year and a half. Time will tell.

AD7BF

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Disconnecting power externally doesn't necessarily reset the CPU.

If it's static-state CMOS, it could be kept "running" by a capacitor.

6. AD7BF

Hmmm, not sure exactly what you mean. I know static RAM can hold it's contents for quite some time with very little current draw but it seems to me (and admittedly, I'm not a computer hardware guy) the CPU would need more power than that and would likely discharge any caps pretty quickly. Maybe I'll try applying power to it again in a year or two, just in case, and see what happens then. Without a schematic or readily identifyable parts inside, it's a tough one to troubleshoot. If it were a more expensive piece of equipment, or if a replacement wasn't available, I might be willing to spend more time on it but I have lots of projects already in line, most of which interest me more. I do still hope someone might come up with a definite answer, as I would like to bring this one back to life, but as the saying goes - so much to do and so little time...

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might try contacting a dealer for TYT and see if they can help you. Radio City in Minnesota carries them, does warranty work and repairs on them. At this point, it would not be free, but they might be able to do the job.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Good idea.

Ask them what magic buttons to push on power up. I would bet there is a magic combo.

Maybe using the Mic. That radio has a built in stolen mode.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  9. AD7BF

Thanks for letting me know about Radio City. I'll look into them. Have tried direct to TYT and also Radio Mart with no response so far so appreciate another possible service outlet.

AD7BF

10. KE6EEX

KE6EEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have a TYT TH-9000D, purchased Feb 2015 on Amazon. After using once a week or so for 13 months it has the same issue you reported -- display scrambled, looking like a mix of Chinese characters and partially formed numbers and none of the controls function. Unable to reset. Given the short life and lack of support it will be replaced with an Alinco 220 unit.

ke6eex