ad: M2Ant-1

Tyro Petition (entry level license and more) filed with FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AD0WU, Aug 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

As usual I see no reason to be upset about getting new hams on air. I realize this bothers some, but us old geezers wont be around forever. A hundred years from now, the licenses will have changed yet again. And probably someone will complina about those changes as well. I have other things to waste my time on. Naps for one.

WU8Y and KB2SUJ like this.
  2. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

we're not upset at this. we're laughing at the hamfisted and ill-informed approach. there's a big ole difference.

3. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats not my impression of the naysayer posts, but okay.

4. AD0WU

AD0WU Ham Member QRZ Page

The Amateur Radio Community Service Initiative (the bigger Tyro picture) can be done on GMRS but just not well. The primary reason is us. We have what the Red Cross, CERT, Americorps, Habitat for Humanity need. We have the vision, technical skill, didactic skills, etc. They need us; we need them. If GMRS did the ARCS Initiative, they would fill their 8 channels and be at the Commission looking for our 70cm spectrum. Be careful what you wish for... In the future, we will be forced to share more "beach-front spectrum"; the question is: will we share it with people inside our tent... or outside. CERT, Red Cross and other chapters support this idea. So do many amateur groups. Teams working on exigent problems need one-to-many two-way radio. Cell phones are one-to-one services that get locked up in crisis -- like 9/11. Moreover, when somebody on you team needs a snake-bite kit, one call to everybody beats 20 cell phone calls. Ask any police force about one-to-many two-way radio. Yes, they have cell phones... but that is not what they use when the bank is robbed. Then, everybody need situational awareness. I challenge the readers here to think about why they really oppose this... and, how that comports with the stewardship amateur radio has exemplified since 1912. AD0WU

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    N4AAB likes this.