ad: ProAudio-1

Tyro Petition (entry level license and more) filed with FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AD0WU, Aug 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD0WU

AD0WU Ham Member QRZ Page

On August 14, 2017 a Petition for Rule Making was filed with the Commission. This would add an entry (Tyro) License to Amateur Radio, structure a sliver of 70cm for FM and digital repeaters and more. A synopsis of the Petition is available at: www.HamptonTechnologies.com/TyroPetition.php. A copy of the actual petition is attached to this thread.
    AD0WU

Attached Files:

2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Three classes of amateur radio licenses is more than adequate. You have 6 year old children passing the current 35 question Technician exam. Technician Class license is entry level enough.

K5TCJ, ND6M, AD5NM and 6 others like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll say this for their idea -- at least they took their idea where it mattered -- to the FCC, rather than debating it endlessly on the 'net.

4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Joke of the day; "Tyro for TOTs petition".

5. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

<<The license requires a test.
    Ranchers, hunters, rock-climbers, skiers, farmers and more, do not see
    themselves as radio people... not enough to study technical radio issues
    toward the test>>

and the tech license is passed by teens all the time.

So no interest at all in radio? Sorry we are Amateur RADIO Licenses. They should get business band radios and be done with it.

If they have an interest in RADIO, they would be welcome to study and pass the Tech exam.

AG6QR, AD5NM, K4DJQ and 4 others like this.
  6. KK5JY

And actually, Part 97 requires them to do so. The amateur radio service can't be regularly used for communications that can be reasonably furnished via another service. It's under "prohibited communications."

AD5KO likes this.
  7. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Channels? We are NOT CB radio! This is dumber than dumb!

AD5KO likes this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The testing structure for ham radio has historically lowered the threshold for entry such that now, it's hardly a test at all and anyone with a free weekend can obtain a license.

This is simply the next lower rung on the descending ladder of easy. Quantity over quality seems the goal.

WL4X and AD5KO like this.
  9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Turn Your Radio On

Turn Your Radio Off

Throw Your Radio Out

ND6M, W2AI and K8MHZ like this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

This petition is not at all relevant to the issues the ARRL identifies. The use of VHF and UHF as a marketing tool for amateur radio was shown to be a' failure. So why do this? The answer: the petition seems to be a self serving marketing enhancement by "Hamilton Technologies" for some purpose. Even the name "Tyro" is so lame that it alone would affect adoption.

Baked down, the petition establishes channelization for some of the ham 70cm band. This predetermined channel plan allows manufacturers to make equipment pre-programmed for easy utilization by non technical people.

I think the petition is bewildering in it's claim to help amateur radio since the Tech license poses no significant barrier and was a failure using vhf and uhf as a recruiting tool. The other point is that the petition entry specification for the Tyro class may violate ITU guidelines for amateur radio.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    NY7Q and KB6MAT like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC will not approve any new license classes, as they are broke.

12. KK5JY

...and tired of talking about this subject.

13. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to sound negative when there has been some thought and effort put into something but I think this is doomed.

What's the realistic chance of anyone putting up repeaters on these channels? Don't we have a surplus of unused repeaters now?

My main issue is that "ranchers, hunters, rock-climbers, skiers, farmers" etc are just going to see it as a service and complain when a "call gets dropped".

14. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

He lost me at Ham.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Then stop . No loss .