ad: M2Ant-1

Two Solar Cycles at Once & A Big Meteor Nearly Hits | Space Weather News 10.10.2019

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4HPY

KK4HPY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember back when There was REAL OPERATING on the REAL BANDS and not these Fake shortwaves with the sun as spotless as a babies REAR END !!! yOU didnT have these NINNIES saying they is TALKING when they is really TYPING !!!!

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

God is punishing us for being cranky old buzzards instead of Wilford Brimley.
    [​IMG]

KD5COL and KK4HPY like this.
  3. KK4HPY

yOU are right WE SHOULD NOT ENCOURAGE NEWCOMERS ! What good IS a Youngster on the bands anyway ? Just a nuisance !

W4WFL likes this.
  4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ4VTH and KK4HPY like this.
  5. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've yet to experience bad propagation on the weekends. Only seem to have bad conditions Monday through Friday. Things that make you say hmmmm. We use "the band is horrible today", "too much QRM", "too much QSB" (probably the only two Q codes anyone knows today) as an overused crappy excuse. I'm having a blast with 6 watts and a wire. Carry on...

W4WFL and WW2PT like this.
  6. KK4HPY

I HEAR YOU learned SIR !!!! I recall when my friends and I got licensed at AGE 12 and we were HIGHLY ADVANCED !!!! We used Q codes for EVERYTHING !!! The sun spots were more POWERFUL back then , even 1 spot was enough for talking to ST. LOUIS !!! wE Did CW ONLY and this "single sideband" NONSENSE was not allowed in my neighborhood !!!

W4WFL likes this.
  7. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

cycle 25 start up must be near....20 was loaded all day today dx stations ,open all day; 17 was open mostly all day with the same as 20; 15 was open this afternoon quite a few psk stations on 15 meters and nothing on 12 or 10 meters.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not coddling anyone. Just reporting the facts.

The bands aren't dead, but the stream of newer hams on HF is close to dead. Its important to ask them why.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

..who is dead.

That's the point: we don't want the bands to end up like him.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Poor solar conditions mean the propagation paths, when they occur, are more lossy then usual.

To use the cliche, when solar conditions are good, with 100 watts to the wet noodle, one can "work every thing that is heard".

These days I hear many stations calling and calling DX peds over and over to no avail until they give up. They obviously hear them well but can not be heard. I try calling barefoot and get the same results.

Then I turn on an amplifier, adding instantly 10 db to my xmitted signal. Voilla! I get a response within a few calls.

DX'peds are not using 100w, pretty much they are all QRO these days, so the reason they can be heard is they have that 10 db already added, and yet they are often at the margins of receivability.

The effect can easily be seen, even measured, on FT8. DX decoding at -20db doesn't respond to my 100w; because my sig is probably -30db there. Add that KW and bingo! Red stripe.

They don't hear stations calling because those peanut-whistles are using TOO LITTLE POWER.

RF power amplifiers - an elegant solution for poor propagation conditions.

Life is too short for QRP.

:D

John, WØPV