TV show, Doomsday Preppers, suggesting preppers use ham/shortwave radio.

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by WA0MNA, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WA0MNA

WA0MNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings. I remember this subject being touched on in a past thread. Last night I watched, what has been at least the second episode of Doomsday Preppers mentioning the use of ham radio, and / or shortwave radio as a preferred communications method. Anyone else watch this is quite a display of paranoia.
    As a sidebar to the above...I am celebrating 50 years as a licensed ham in June of this year. Novice ticket received June 1962 at age of 14. Take Care!
  2. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Fortunately, most of the doomsday preppers seem to prefer playing with guns to radios.
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We get many requests for information and advice here from people seeking to be able to keep in touch with family and/or their religious organization in the event of a catastrophe. A lot of them seem to come from remote parts of Idaho or Oregon. Sometimes, you have to wonder if we're helping a cult or a bunch of separatists. Occasionally, requests for additional information are met with what seem to be somewhat paranoid reactions. If WWIII ever does take place, I wonder if HF will even be usable due to all the radios coming out of closets or bunkers, and being used by people who aren't properly licensed and have no previous experience on the air.

You're a year ahead of me. It will be 50 for me next year. I'm now an Old Old Timer.
  4. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

HF wont be usable due to the immense ionization of the atmosphere... Not because of the radios coming out of the closets.
  5. K0RGR

Yes, and the need for them assumes that someone will survive long enough to use one.
  6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Radio 'blackout' from nuclear blasts lasts from a few hours to well less than a day.

Sheesh. more paranoid misinformation.
  7. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on your 50 years as a Ham.

But TV - as an authority?
    That would be funny if it wasn't ultimately tragic.

In the real doomsday; there will not be on brick left resting upon another. Nothing left standing for what can be called 'civilization'. I think at that point any antenna would have long before been fallen.

If they limited the scope of the show to a local catastrophe - such as a earthquake/tsunami/volcanic event - fair to say that one would need to prepared to go into this area of devastation and set up communications. That - in itself - would have to be done by aircraft/helicopter. I think that the nuclear plant meltdown in Japan is a fair example.

Here in CA, we have to be ready for another large quake. Can't say that I could set up a station in such an event. Would need to have a vehicle that hasn't been destroyed to use as a source of power. Then use whatever equipment hasn't been destroyed. No one really thinks about all of the criteria/details until it really happens. The skills and knowledge already acquired will be as important any any gear that survived.
  8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

This preppers thingie ? Does it mean preparation for Doomsday ? Just so that I don't miss it, when is it going to occur, has anybody arranged a date ?
  9. KM3N

KM3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on - amateur radio operators - the ultimate preppers. eCOMM - 5 mhz, go kits, Field Day, generators, back up boat anchors with tubes instead of transistors.
  10. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

And let's not forget the wackers with their brighly-colored vests, appropriately adorned vehicles, and the customary amber light bar atop said vehicle.
  11. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with helping a bunch of separatists, they just want to be left alone.
  12. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

preppers are the Survivalists of the Reagan era with new name tags.

when the balloon goes up, all of the unprepared people will be coming after your ten years worth stash of beans and rice, and you will need guns to kill them and defend your voluminous legumes

said Mel Tappan

30 years ago
  13. KD8FYI

KD8FYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Helpful to know. Just wait a day, then call up on my radio to order salve for my radiation burns.

14. KU7CAD

KU7CAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Preppers is currently my favorite show on TV. It seems like most people on the show take a small possibility then go insane with preparing for it. There have been a few people on the show that talk about communications, WC2V in particular, search youtube for WC2V and preppers.

While I agree that they should become licensed and learn how to operte the equipment before hand, I do find it funny when a prepper says that you will need to have a license after the world ends. But I guess the only thing to survive a nuclear bomb is cockroaches and FCC agents.
  15. K0RGR

I've liberated us from the tyranny of cable and satellite TV, so I no longer get that channel. It looks like Hulu only has short clips from the show. I guess if WWIII happens, I am doomed.
  16. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry, you're not missing anyting...:)
  17. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife and I watch the show quite often. Some of the scenarios are quite amusing. One dude was convinced the sun was going to have a Coronal Mass Ejection in 2012. Kept repeating "When the CME occurs in 2012.. ". As others said, Preppers is the new name for survivalists. Some of their "Doomsday" scenarios are pretty far out there. Some are slightly more realistic. There was one guy in LA who was prepping for the next earthquake. Ok, they get those out there... I can sort of see that. He actually honed his skills on living off the land.. in LA. He did seem to think that society would break down completely in LA.. which may have been going a little far. But yeah, many of them.. wow, go to the extreme. One couple made their home out of shipping containers... SHIPPING CONTAINERS. They practiced firing on it with 22's. Inside their home it was no doubt a shipping container. One younger lady on Texas was prepping for some issue with the world oil supply. Hah, one of her supplies was 1000+... umm how do I say this kindly... "protection". ??? Some other dude in California was convinced that the fallout from the Japan Tsunami was going to be the end of days. He was stockpiling 100's or 1000's of different kinds of seeds.The show pointed out that Chernobyl produced 10 times the amount of radiation. I was around when that happened, I'm still here.

I'm all for being prepared for an emergency. It is wise to keep some food, water, and other essential supplies - especially for local 'events'. Last year we've seen two storms that each knocked power out for a week. Roads, deliveries and other things were disrupted. Heck, one local gas station was only allowing people to fill up small gas containers.. not cars since they were unable to get deliveries (trees were down everywhere). BUT... within a week.. things were pretty much back to normal. Power was restored, roads were passable, life is pretty much back to normal. Could other bigger disasters occur? possibly. I think it's good to be prepared for stuff like that. I am looking to keep some longer term storage food around.. long term mainly because I like low maintenance :) I'll designate some shelves to keep this all at... not the entire basement. Although I will say I have tube rigs covered... mainly because I like to operate them :)

I will laugh my a## off if they feature someone getting ready for the zombie apocalypse... or someone really should spoof it on SNL or something.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  18. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my trusty buck knife. That's all I need to survive.

19. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

What I find disgusting about this "prepper"stuff is that an organization as respected as National Geographic is airing this garbage on their channel. It just shows they've sold out to reality TV just like the rest of the networks and cable channels. My opinion of NatGeo has really gone down...
  20. K0RGR

Frankly, their magazine has been a disappointment lately, too. They seem to be printing it on much lower grade paper, and last month, my issue was missing about 20 pages that apparently didn't get bound into the book. If it wasn't for the Titanic and the Mayans I don't think they'd have a magazine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.