Turning the 6DC6 into a 80m preamp for a reciver.

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KC9OXP, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC9OXP

KC9OXP Ham Member QRZ Page

An update on the pre-amp

I had some extra time at school and they had some equipment i could easy adapt to making a bench mark test for the pre-amp. In the pdf attached is the results and conditions of the test.

Once again thank you all for the help on this!

2. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Michael,

You're very welcome, and thanks for sharing the freq response info with us!

I've never had an issue with strong nearby stations overloading the preamp, but I think if you ever had that problem, reducing the value of the 75 ohm resistor would help. See:

... for more info.

3. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sell the 6DC6's to collins collectors . . .

To use a tube, you'll have to build a power supply as well, which requires a small power transformer with a filament winding that will handle the current, rectifier diode(s), filter capacitor, box (so you don't electrocute yourself). Add a tube socket, resistors, bypass capacitors, coils, and triimmer capacitors . . . well I'm sure you can see where this is going.

If you want to build a pre-amp, you can get a 2N2222 or MPF102 for less than a quarter, add the necessary parts, and run it all off a 9 volt transistor battery. This would be more of a beginners project than using the 6DC6.

Gary WA7KKP

4. KC9OXP

KC9OXP Ham Member QRZ Page

The am over load was from another receiver i no longer use. The pre am does not over load, it works very nicely.

I was tring to use the 6dc6 as pre-amp but other members helped me build a transistor pre amp. I had most the parts for the tube. I would consider my self as a middle skill builder :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.