TURNER +2/+3 MIKES ON MODERN ICOM HF RIGS - QUESTION

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5FRH, May 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Putting 48V phantom power on an HF radio's mic input would cause Bad Things(TM). "

Holey Toledo!!

What are you doing with those kinds of voltages on a ham rig in conjunction with a Turner+3 mic?

Edit: Okay - I read further down!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Even though the condenser bias ("phantom voltage") from ham rigs is usually in the 5v-8v range and certainly not 48v, I'd think the +2 preamp is already capacitor coupled.

I didn't find the schematic quickly (it's probably out there, I didn't look very hard) but the +2 has a preamp in its base and I'd expect the output of the preamp is already AC coupled, so it wouldn't matter if DC bias were provided by the rig or not.

Is that not the case?

KY5U likes this.
  3. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

I get great reports with my Turner SSK mics on my IC7300 and 718. Actually I had a few folks that liked the SSK over my ICom SM50 desk mic. I rotate them and a d104, just love the vintage look.

4. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, I read it backwards initially. It happens :p

5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I have found that "good audio" is in the ear of the sender. I have known hams who would not take anything but broadcast audio, those that think "hand mics are best", and still an alarming amount that think raspy, heavily amplified audio is best. I suggest you do what you want as long as your bandwidth is less than 2.8khz and you don't splatter then "don't worry, be happy".

WA9SVD likes this.
  6. K6XRA

K6XRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm working on a similar project.
    Found on the Internet:
    Turner +2 Schematic p1.JPG
    Turner +2 Schematic p2.JPG

I'm not an expert, but it looks to me like it would be fine without an additional capacitor.