TURNER +2/+3 MIKES ON MODERN ICOM HF RIGS - QUESTION

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5FRH, May 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K5FRH

K5FRH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always liked the looks of the old classic Turner +2 microphone. I now have the opportunity to pick up a couple in mint condition from a CBer as well as one +3.

I would like opinions of using one of these mikes on a modern hf radio. To put things in perspective, I am now 65 and the last time I owned one I was 16 and enjoying life with my CB radio....the Turner +2 was a status symbol - so everyone owned one.

The only warning I have found was in an earlier QRZ post as follows:
    "To use any dynamic element on these phantom powered inputs (which should NEVER be applied to a mic input of a radio transmitter, IMHO), the input must be de-coupled so the mic audio AC signal can pass through to the mic preamp, while simultaneously blocking the DC voltage from reaching that mic element. Simply install a 1 µF non-polarized tantalum capacitor in series with mic lead. You may get by with a .68 F or a .47 F, but anything less (.01 µF, .005 µF, etc.) will not pass any speech audio worth listening to). The cap MUST be a non-polarized type. This will keep the DC factor into the mic preamp circuitry."

Do you use one or have you used one on your HF station ? Thanks. Rod, K5FRH

2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a sound warning and you should hear it well.

Putting 48V phantom power on an HF radio's mic input would cause Bad Things(TM).

Just make sure the mic output level and impedance are compatible with the radio's input requirements. If not you may need a buffer or preamp, but otherwise I don't think there would be any issues. I haven't done this exact thing though.

K5FRH likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K5FRH likes this.
  4. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I misread that sentence. Sorry. I was thinking condenser mic with an external phantom supply. I didn't realize the radio was providing that.

K5FRH likes this.
  5. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

They play well with Kenwoods. :) No Mods needed. :)

K5FRH likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The mod is so simple as to inconsequential. And if you don't want to fool with that, Heil will sell you a cable that takes care of it. :)

K5FRH likes this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Power Mics are (usually) not necessary for ham rigs. A lot of people who use them set them for too much gain and then sound like crud on the air. In ham radio the idea is to have a nice clean signal, with crispy clear modulation, that doesn't splatter up the band. At least if you are going to use one set it so that YOU can be understood and so that you don't CAUSE INTERFERENCE to others. Probably a setting of around 1 would suffice.

Someone gave me a D-104 mic with an amplified stand. I took it home and removed all the amplification parts. Works great on my TS-520...

Dan KI4AX

KY5U likes this.
  8. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a whole set of minty Turners on the shelf below my collection of minty D-104's. The plus 2,3,3b, Sidekick and a NIB JM +3U hand mic. I rotate many of them for use on my older Kenwood rigs and they still sound great.

Your +2 or 3 will work just fine with an Icom radio and you'll be glad it has a pre-amp in it even if you use it on a 7300. Just heed the advice given about the blocking cap on the mic audio input pin.

9. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

WA8FOZ and WQ4G like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the non-preamplified Turners and have used the 254C, 454C, 454X, etc. lots of times. The 254C or 454C is basically a +2 without the preamp and battery in the base.

They're good mikes! I bought my first one new in 1966 and still have it.

Only problem (for me) is these desk mikes are "short," and unless you pick it up in your hand, which kinda defeats the purpose of a "desk mike," you have to lean way over to use it. Or put it on a stack of books or something, to raise it up to the elevation where it can be used.

That's the reason I rarely use any kind of desk mike -- they hurt my back.:p Today, I use "boom" mounted mikes so I can set their elevation to whatever I want, which is generally right in front of my lips. With VOX or a footswitch.

Way easier.:)

WA8FOZ likes this.